It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:42 pm • # 1 

I'm new to tying and have found hackles and ribs a real pain as the dangling bobbin is in the way.

Hopefully this will make things a bit easier. Ingredients were a piece of 1.6mm stainless TIG rod, a child's hardwood building building block about 1" square, and a brass bolt. The wire is glued into the block. With the right tension on the bolt ( just hand tight ) the block stays where you put it on the vice stem.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:16 pm • # 2 
Administrator

that works- ingenious.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:24 pm • # 3 

It seems to, also works quite well for forming posts, which is a bonus !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:57 pm • # 4 

wafty wrote:
It seems to, also works quite well for forming posts, which is a bonus !

Nice. I have been looking for a gallows tool for tying paraloop patterns.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:07 pm • # 5 

It's not a true gallows as as such, with this you still have to tilt the hook. But, it does free a hand up for hand over hand round the post with the bobbin. Before this I pinched the post with one hand, and struggled with the bobbin with the other.

You can see I form my post as a loop, but there would be no reason a pair of hackle pliers couldn't be used to grip the post, and then hooked on the arm.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:34 pm • # 6 

wafty wrote:
It's not a true gallows as as such, with this you still have to tilt the hook. But, it does free a hand up for hand over hand round the post with the bobbin. Before this I pinched the post with one hand, and struggled with the bobbin with the other.

You can see I form my post as a loop, but there would be no reason a pair of hackle pliers couldn't be used to grip the post, and then hooked on the arm.

A rubber band and hackle pliers should give you enough room to maneuver with sufficient tension . :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:08 am • # 7 

That's a great way to increase the functionality of your vise! The bobbin holder was included with my early Renzetti and I bought a parachute gallows from Swisher for a few bucks.

:idea: Yet another great idea that had never entered my pea brain is reorientation of the fly so the parachute hackle can be wrapped vertically. That gives much better visibility and looks soooo much easier.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply