It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Fly Organization
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:02 pm • # 1 

I'm trying something different. I did have flies in all these containers; never could find the fly/flies I was looking for.
So, I saw this zipper notebook on sale at wally world for 50c so I thought I'd give this a try.
I made "pages" out of thick foam like you can buy at hobby lobby; glued a thinner foam on it, cut slots with a razor blade so you could put flies on either side of the foam strip; poked 3 holes in it and put it in the "fly notebook".
The flies are much easier to view than when theyre piled in a slot in one of the plastic boxes. Now when I need to replenish or set up a box for carrying fishing I just open the notebook.
It zips so the flies wont fall out. I'm actually going to make another and have one for topwater and one for underwater I just haven't found a "deal" on a zipper notebook. Total cost including notebook and foam (4 "pages" front and back) was less than $5-p-

Last edited by pearow on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Fly Organization
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:18 pm • # 2 
Administrator

This looks good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:27 pm • # 3 

Gene, it does look good. It's not an issue for me since I don't have a abundance of flies laying around. All mine fit into 4 medium boxes that all fit in my sling pack that I have. Or if I'm going with out the pack, I can get two of them into my pockets with my lanyard. When I tie up enough to over fill my boxes ill have to make something like this. Have you noticed with small dries crushing the wings or hackles?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:15 pm • # 4 

Great idea particularly for a variety of flies..

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:52 am • # 5 

I glued some foam blocks on each page to keep the flies from being crushed. I have my fishing boxes also, organized by rod weight; and by underwater or top water; 1,2 weight boxes; 3,4 weight boxes; 5,6 weight boxes and my big bass box for 7,8 weights; generally same flies but smaller sizes for lighter rods. If I'm fishing out of a boat I carry them all; but otherwise I just carry the boxes for my rod weight I'll be fishing. No, I'm never satisfied with my organization; always needing a fly or box of flies I dont have. I do have four small boxes for trout-p-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:04 pm • # 6 

I use the plastic box system and use them as follows

Just Streamers in the needed amount of boxes
Just Dries and Emergers in the needed amount of boxes
Just Nymphs and wets in the needed amount of boxes

I fill up my small fly boxes from there

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:50 pm • # 7 

Very Nice :)

It seems as though I do 1 thing for awhile until I decide I don't like it. & then look for another way, still haven't found 1 that I'm completely satisfied with????

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:51 pm • # 8 

Roofish wrote:
Very Nice :)

It seems as though I do 1 thing for awhile until I decide I don't like it. & then look for another way, still haven't found 1 that I'm completely satisfied with????

Same here. I'm down to carrying just one of the newish Wheatley plastic compartment boxes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:34 pm • # 9 

I'm starting to move to smaller compartment boxes. Cheaper and easier to pack.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:15 pm • # 10 

I use old Wheatley compartment boxes for dry flies and swingleaf clip boxes for wet flies. But I carry far too many flies. Once all the boxes are in the vest, I need a Sherpa with a front-end loader just to move it.
I think it is time to sort the dry flies into foam as you have illustrated, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:15 am • # 11 

pearow wrote:
I'm trying something different. I did have flies in all these containers; never could find the fly/flies I was looking for.
So, I saw this zipper notebook on sale at wally world for 50c so I thought I'd give this a try.
I made "pages" out of thick foam like you can buy at hobby lobby; glued a thinner foam on it, cut slots with a razor blade so you could put flies on either side of the foam strip; poked 3 holes in it and put it in the "fly notebook".
The flies are much easier to view than when theyre piled in a slot in one of the plastic boxes. Now when I need to replenish or set up a box for carrying fishing I just open the notebook.
It zips so the flies wont fall out. I'm actually going to make another and have one for topwater and one for underwater I just haven't found a "deal" on a zipper notebook. Total cost including notebook and foam (4 "pages" front and back) was less than $5-p-

Good VDS - visible display system

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:10 pm • # 12 

Location: Lorain, Ohio but can be found in fishing waters of West by God West Virginia and southern Ohio.
Nicely organized!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:30 pm • # 13 

Another good idea, I too hate cramming all my flies real close together. Don't think it would fit in my sling bag though......Don in SC

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply