It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:47 pm • # 1 

I'm sure some of you have caught onto this, but I'm sure some haven't so I wanted to put it up here. When I first started tying, I used a bobbin threader to push the line through the nozzle when I switched threads. One day I was watching someone tie a pattern on YouTube and realized a MUCH better way. It's simple.

Step 1: Using your fingers, push about half an inch of line into the bobbin tube
Step 2: Pretend the other end of the bobbin is a straw, and give a quick burst of suction to pull the rest of the line through

Your bobbin has now been threaded in 5 seconds without the need of a tool.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:01 pm • # 2 

I thought that was the only way to do it. What do you use to clean the head cement off of you bodkin? Just push it through your jeans before the stuff dries on it. Hmm... maybe I just learned from a cheap old fart, didn't need tools if he could chew on it or wipe it on his old clothes!

Mike

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:49 pm • # 3 

Been doing it that way since forever. My first fly tying book (which was a long time ago and written decades before I was born) recommended against "bobbin holders" as they were originally called, since the spool the thread is on is the actually the bobbin. Anyway, a small bit of inner tube under a thumb tack was considered the best way to hold tension on the thread, with the bobbin held in the hand and fed through the fingers when being wound. Having dropped a few bobbin spools and chased thread across the room, I tend to appreciate the more modern method--still, threaders are a waste of time and just another tool to buy or make, then get lost among the clutter. 99.9% of fly tying can be done perfectly well with well-learned skills and vise, scissors, bodkin, and bobbin (holder).

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:11 am • # 4 

I always double & twist about 2-3" of the thread before I put it in the bobbin tube. Makes it easier to insert and suck through the tube.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:13 am • # 5 

I just run the tip of the thread through my lips real quick so any fibers sticking out lay flat and the tip is one solid mass.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply