It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Tippet Tender
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:36 pm • # 1 

This isn't for something I've thunk of ??? , it's asking What do YOU do for tippet tenders to keep your tippet from unwinding off the spools (I didn't find anything in a search relating to this). The tippet I have featuring little keepers on the side of the spool that come off and get lost along with those crummy little elastic pony tail bands aren't cutting it and I am getting so frustrated >: I am thinking about tossing them all and buying all new RIO tippet just to get the elastic spool tenders with the grommets for the tippet to pass through, and that's NOT very Frugal. I have a 4-day high alpine lakes trip coming up this Sunday and I don't want the aggrevation of the tippet spools disgorging themselves in my pack or in the talus or bush along the shorelines.

BTW, old RIO spools work nicely for mananging my 16' - 20' chrionomid leaders that used to wad up into a nightmarish tangle whenever I pulled them from a leader wallet. If I had more used up spools, problem solved.

Post subject: Re: Tippet Tender
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:19 pm • # 2 

Bryan, I had a tippet holder that the keepers broke on. I glued a piece of foam sheet where the keepers had been, then took a double edge razor blade and cut a slit in the foam. Has worked very well for some time now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:34 pm • # 3 

You can make your own elastic tippet tenders like rio's. go to walmart and buy the elastic band and get either 6 or 7 or 8 size beads. cut the elastic tape to size and allow for a little extra and glue to the side of the bead... google this because someone has a video out there about doing this...
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:35 pm • # 4 

My Orvis tippets came with a nice one. I also have some Shark Tooth tippet bands (elastic band with a cutter). I was gonna try what Mark said when I saw SBS somewhere, but then I found the Shark Tooth. I know it's not a frugal solution, but I got lazy....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:39 pm • # 5 

Found it. You tube by Curtis Fry
He also uses /makes them for thread and floss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvD0CtxgjGM

looks easy and cheap.. beads come in bags of 100's so you can make alot ;)
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:25 am • # 6 

Thanks for the ideas!!! I really didn't want to spend $1 to $2.50 each for tenders. I used 1/4" scrap elastic from Mrs Brian's sewing supplies and small 4-hole buttons instead of beads, super glue and shrink tubing. I cut the elastic about a 3/8" short of fitting around the spool for a tight stretch, then singed the ends of the elastic after cutting to harden them. Then I whip-stitched the elastic using some old 3X tippet to just two of the four holes in the buttons on the opposite corners in a >< pattern leaving either of the other two holes open to thread the tippet through. I stretched the completed tenders and wrote the tippet size in three places with a fine point Sharpie, then fitted them on the spools. The buttons ride on the outside of the spools that I can grip and pull. I think it's going to work fine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:25 am • # 7 

I use a bit more elastic on everything up to 20lb test. I just double the elastic, tie a knot, slip it on a spool.
the bulk spools that are about the same diameter as a beer, put them in a foam koozy

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply