It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:31 pm • # 1 

A popular style of priest made by Hardy is very modern in appearance but, IMO, not all that handy for the wading angler -- the handle is too long and thick.

OTOH, the Hardy Birchwood priest is shorter, but too heavy for wearing:

By far the nicest priest I have seen is, alas, no longer made by Hardy. It's drawback was the unnecessary weight and diameter of the handle:

However,an inexpensive but attractive approximation of the priest above, can be quickly manufactured from the butt section of an old fly rod (cane preferable, but otherwise FRP), epoxy, and brass plumbing connectors. Cut a 7" tapered section of fly rod butt near the grip; plug, or if cane, coat, the large end with epoxy - to prevent water entering; find three brass nuts - the largest available - in the plumbing section of a hardware store; if the small end of your priest (a friar at this point) is loose in the nuts, build it up with tape; finally, use plenty of epoxy to permanently fix the nuts to the small end of the priest.

Now you have the means of delicately performing the last rites for dinner.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:12 pm • # 2 

Jeez. I thought you guys all carried handguns....lol
Seriously, those are very nice looking bits of hardware. I like the hardwood one best, but I can see how your homemade priest would do the trick.
I've had occasion to fish with a number of fisheries biologists over the years, and one of them was able to 'flick' trout up to about 13" on the head with his finger, and kill them instantly. Had a good understanding of their physiology, I guess, but I was never able to replicate the action.
I'm one of those philistines who bend their heads back to break their necks.
brent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:23 am • # 3 

Interesting...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:29 am • # 4 

Go to your local Hooter's get the little baseball bat. When you are thinking about wailing on the fish, try a sharp wack to bridge of your nose. Jeepers.

Ever think about a bang stick for those monster brookies?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:06 pm • # 5 

I must confess that all the big brookies go back, usually without even leaving the water. The two or so brookies I keep per year are usually 10". I find in some rare cases, I can just give them a short overview of the global geopolitical situation, and they happily take their own lives.
but yeah, a bang stick would be worth a try. Can you get 'em engraved from Orvis?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:33 am • # 6 

I have a fish knocker turned out of a chunk of walnut. Bout the same length as the novelty lil slugger ball bats, but twice the thickness. I used it more as a tire thumper than a fish knocker. The more preferred/modern way to dispatch a fish round these parts (at least for salmon & steelhead) is to give them a lil bonk just to stun them, then cut the gills to let them bleed out. Supposed to be better meat quality that way. I cannot say for sure, as I haven't caught a salmon or steelhead I could legally keep in about 14 years or so. I don't bother with bleeding trout - the only time I keep them is when they've been hooked badly and are already bleeding, and thus more likely to die after release than not. I don't like to purposefully waste game like that.

And should I run into a mutant zombie ninja fish - the 16 rounds of 9 mil in my G-lock should do the trick, or at least let me lay down covering fire while I retreat to the truck or get to cover and reload. Hopefully the mutant zombie ninja fish doesn't have an AR-15 with evil 100 round beta C magazines. I'd be pretty well boned then.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:18 pm • # 7 

I used to tote a gun... Then, when fishing the Florida salt, I used a wooden billy club.
For the brim and cats I keep here in SC, I'm not sure what to do. Before, I didn't worry about it. But now that it's been brought up, I realize there is yet another piece of fishing gear I simply must have. I'll be remiss - a slacker even - if I do nothing more than jab a knife into their skulls.
The little Hooters bat sounds nice, and I don't mind going there to get one. Maybe I should just go back to my .38...

Last edited by dayhut on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:49 am • # 8 

hehe...interesting: you call the fish knocker, the "fish" killer, priest. It's very signifcant. :D

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:53 am • # 9 

It was called a priest because it administered the last rites.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:35 am • # 10 

Ah...this is the reason? Interesting anyway, because you use it to kill.
Btw thanks: I like etymologies and way of saying and I didn't know this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:28 pm • # 11 

now that is funny!!!!!( I visualize a guy shooting a brim with a 9mm and seeing that he's being observed explains, "just caring a few home to eat"-p-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:36 pm • # 12 

pearow wrote:
now that is funny!!!!!( I visualize a guy shooting a brim with a 9mm and seeing that he's being observed explains, "just caring a few home to eat"-p-

Actually, as late as the early 1980's it was standard practice for some Muskie guides in northern Wisconsin to carry a .32 Short revolver. Less stuff got broken in the boat if the fish was dispatched outside of the boat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:50 pm • # 13 

overmywaders wrote:
It was called a priest because it administered the last rites.

That was my understanding, too. But its best not to get in the habit. ;)
brent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:51 pm • # 14 

(rimshot)

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply