It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:49 am • # 1 

Who used silk lines knows how they are nice on water: soft, smooth, thin and delicates. Perfect for ultralight fly fishing.
But they have some disadvantages: they are **** expensives, they need so much maintenance because they are less "strong" that usual lines.

I resolved all these problems using dyneema (spectra): for few bucks I took 70 feets (more that sufficient for me) of 100% dyneema-spectra, it is lighter that water (not as silk who is heavier) then It doesn't need particular treatments (I put it the first time for one night in vaseline oil and the I grease it with red mucilin. But I think that even only the red mucilin is more that sufficient), it is softer, smoother and thinner that a silk line. For few bucks you have a level line, but if want it more delicate you can put between the line and the leader a 3 to 7 feet piece of dyneema thinner that the line or use a longer leader with the thicker part longer that usual.

The more important is find the correct line for your rod and using the AFTM tables you can find the correct weight for the first 30 feet of the line and consider that dyneema greased weight a little more that without mucilin and that bigger is the line less is the incidence of the weight of the grease (for ultralight line a 1# I consider about 30/35% more, for a 2# about 30%, for a 3# 20/25%).
Another think to consider is the color: usually I found green or black color dyneema-spectra but they are very difficult to see on water, if you find it in white or fluo colors I think is better.
If you like I have some names of commercial dyneema with the weight of 30 feet, I don't know if it's considered advertising if I publish them.
Hoping to have been useful
Roberto

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:27 am • # 2 

Hi , a user of this forum asked me in private for a 1# what pound test fishing line did I use.
it's difficult reply, because I have not a sufficient number of samples to test. The main reason because is difficult is that, as you know, who commercialize these products often is far to be accurate about the real pound that a line supports and the real diameter. The weight of the line (what interests us) depends a lot more by the diameter, but often the diameter doesn't correspond with the pounds declared. In my tests I found a 60lbs line who is 0,45 millimeters diameter who weights 2,52 grams without grease and 3,66 greased (AFTM 1# is 3,55/3,9/4,3 ) then a light 1#. But with the same diameter 0,45 I found even one who weights 3,90 grams and another 3,50 grams, both not greased (I don't know the pounds supported) who means about 5 grams greased the first and 4,55 the second (AFTM #2 is 4,8/5,2/5,6) then in the #2 range. Another was declared 80lbs, it was 0,55mm diameter and 4,12 grams without grease and 6,06 greased (AFTM #3 6,1/6,5/6,9) then between #2 and #3. This means that the diameter that I measure with my dynamometer depens even by the consistence of the material: if it's very soft it tends to flatten then a 0,45 diameter could be more that a 0,45 less soft. I can counsel a 60lbs, 65lbs or a 70lbs: if you live close to a fishing shop who has large coils of dyneema and sell you the meters you need you can go there with a 10 grams pocket weighting scale (very useful even if you want to know the correct weight of "standard" lines. They cost less that 10 dollars on ebay) and weight it directly adding about 30% for the grease.

If somebody has dyneema at home should be really appreciated if he weights 30 feet and publish here the weight, the pounds declared and the name of the product.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:05 am • # 3 

An example about the difficult to standardize the pound with the diameter and the weight:
here a 0,4mm diameter is a 60lbs http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-100M-1000M- ... 8027b1b469

here a 0,4mm is an 80lbs http://www.ebay.com/itm/DYNEEMA-PE-4-BR ... 27d1559270

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:10 am • # 4 

this is very interesting, Zigo. How did you think of this? You are a smart man.
Paul

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:35 am • # 5 

absolutely brilliant! ..........and frugal!!-p-

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:37 pm • # 6 

I like this idea a lot. I guess the only way to try it is to buy some Dyneema and then weigh it to see what weight rod to throw it with? If I was looking for around a 3 weight what diameter would I try first? Around .55mm if I read you right?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:17 am • # 7 

Thanks pearow and Rockthief. :)
I liked the idea to use silk lines because they are thinner, who means smaller and lighter reels, more appropriate for my short UL rods, and because they are softer and more flexibles in water that usual lines. But I was looking for something cheaper and not so delicate (I read that silk lines need to be removed form the reel all times that you return from fishing to good dry them and re-greased all times...). I like simple maintenance and when I return from fishing I'm too lazy to remove the line from reel. I read about people who use dacron, but since it's heavier that water it needs to be treated with lineseed oil or particular varnish, treatments that sometimes go on for months. Then I tried to look for artificial fiber lighter that water and I found dyneema-spectra who seemed perfect. I tried simply greasing it and it worked fine!
The only "problem" is find the correct weight, but it's so cheap that it's not a great problem. I think that to try something like 10 different kinds of dyneema I spent a lot less that buying a regular line.

@ mnxs54
it depends a lot by the brand and the model. for a #3 I think it could be good. if you are patient I ordered 100m of 100lbs, who is 0,55mm of this http://www.ebay.it/itm/221348050876?var ... 1497.l2648 It will arrive, if everythink is going well, in one max 2 weeks. I weight it and then I teel you here

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:04 am • # 8 

I think that these lines have several advantages: cheap, soft, no memory, thin, proof. But one of the greater advantage is that you can have all the weights you need: #3, #2, #1, #0, #00 etc. etc. and all the intermediate weights. Sometimes it's difficult for U.L. fishermen find usual fly lines so light, often to have a real #0 or #00 you must buy brand lines who are not cheap. And sometimes is impossible find on the market real #0 or #1 lines or very difficult (if you read all this thread at the end I weighted some market lines who are declared be #1 but in real are light #2 or #000 who are #1 viewtopic.php?f=68&t=4151 ) In this way everybody can have for 3/4$ the perfect line for each rod, and lines who are really UL. This means new horizons in U.L. fishing, for example underweight rods who seem too slow used with #2 because they need a lighter line. Or fish with real #0 lines, who doesn't exist on the market. Who loves, like me, test new techniques with few bucks can have fun.
Another advantage is that if you take a look on ebay you can find the same dyneema in all the colors you want: I want try a white line, I think that it can be perfectly visible for the fisherman and in sunlight day less visible for the fish.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:34 pm • # 9 

Thank you Zigo. I will be watching for your report.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:21 am • # 10 

mnxs54 wrote:
Thank you Zigo. I will be watching for your report.

Well...the product is arrived: it's a 4 strand line pretty rigid compared with other dyneema that I'm using. It has "memory" and I think it's not so good for our purposes (I like soft dyneema lines). About the weight 9,15 mt (30 feet) is 3,65 grams not greased, too light for a #3. Even if it grows a 30% it becomes 4,75 grams who means a light #2 (AFTMA #2 is 4,8/5,2/5,6). I don't grease it because I have another line in that range a lot softer that I prefer. If somebody wants try it because doesn't care about the rigidity it could be good for a #2 rod or for a light #2 rod, certainly not for a #3. I don't know if using it it can lose the rigidity.

It's arrived here even this http://www.ebay.it/itm/201009194850?var ... 1497.l2649 but a 6lbs that I want try to make furled leaders: it's a 4 strands but a lot softer that the other, better. But I don't know how the 100lbs could weight.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:42 am • # 11 

I made some statistics and I have seen that soft dyneema treated with a bath in vaseline oil and greased with red mucilin increase the weight of more that 40% (42-45%).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:58 pm • # 12 

Hi All,

Sorry I didn't do the welcome thread yet, if there is one but I am a bit too excited.

I bumped into this thread while doing lots of random fly fishing research and really like this idea. So I bought a few different cords to test out and wanted to share my results. My scale is a gram scale but I'm carefully pulling off a bit to gauge how close the the next value I am and it looks pretty close. So far I got:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DXN ... UTF8&psc=1

"Nano paracord, .75mm"
It's actually fairly flat, not round, and I haven't gotten to test it out yet but I did weigh 30' of it. It weighs in around 4 grams. It's nice and soft and memory free. I have some abolene here to test on it eventually if it doesn't float on it's own so it could gain a bit of weight after dressing.

I also got this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HCO ... UTF8&psc=1

"Micro paracord, 1.18mm"
This stuff is more round and just as soft and memory free. I did lawn cast this on a 4 weight rod and it felt pretty nice. I haven't tested dressing this line either but we'll see. ~9.5 - 10 grams puts it up in the 5-6 weight category but potentially nice for overlining a 4 weight. Especially if it sinks and you want to do some deeper fishing on the cheap.

All in all I'm excited to try these out come spring. I have a lot of projects in the works between line testing and refinishing rods ( mostly 5-6 weight rods so I won't go into detail. ) But I will pass along how the lines perform without abolene and with and update with weights.

In any case, if you don't mind a level line, it is an very cheap to test.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:14 pm • # 13 
Administrator

Welcome Bob,

Ulff can be addicting and some of the things we learn - exciting.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:32 pm • # 14 

I make bowstrings out of dyneema and have a few spools from Brownells, I will do some playing with them also, Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:07 am • # 15 

Thankyou!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:17 pm • # 16 

What exactly is Vaseline oil? Are you talkin about just regular Vaseline in a jar? Thanks, Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:33 am • # 17 

Zigo hasn’t posted here for some time (unfortunately), but I’m sure he was talking about the same Vaseline that comes in small jars. It would probably be a good idea to heat the Vaseline before soaking a line in it, and then wipe off the excess.

If you experiment with this, please let us know about the results.

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply