It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:43 pm • # 1 

Here in East Texas the big brim are deep; 15 to 25 foot depths. You can't get to them with a traditional fly line so if you want to catch them with a fly you have to build a line to do this since a sinking/sink tip line in the lighter line weights are difficult to find.
What I do is purchase the sinking line in 4 weight and cut off 24 feet of it to make a head. I take a #2 wf line, reverse it so that the head of the line is on the back of the reel spool. I then attach the 24 foot piece of #4 sinking line to the floating #2 running line and I have a line similar in design to the teeny T-130 that I use on my 5 and 6 weight rods. It takes a few seconds for the sinking line to get the fly to the bottom, but it is necessary to catch the fish.
I attach the two lines together by soaking 1-1/2 inches of the tips in acetone, allowing me to take my thumbnail and strip off the outer core. I put these two ends together and whip finish them with mono fly tying thread, leaving a half inch tail on each end. After making 4 or 5 passes with the mono thread, I double the tag ends back over the part I whip finished and then I whip finish over the tag ends and the other part I had previously whipped.I make sure the whipped ends are against the outer coatings of both the sinking part and the floating part. I coat this with two applications of krazy glue, then two coatings of goop, thinly applied. The result is a slick joint that will go thru the line guides. Cheap sink tip line for the hard to reach fish-p-
edit: I omitted the last part. After finishing the line, I cut the sink line back to achieve the weight I can comfortably cast with my 1,2, or 3 weight rods. Generally, the 24 foot length can be cast with a 3 but for a 1 or a 2 the sink line will have to be cut back to a smaller length. I use 18 foot for my 2 weight but you can weigh the line if you like; a 1 it should weigh around 60-80 grains and a 2 should weigh around 80 to 100 grains, but I generally just cast mine and cut it til it feels good-p-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:33 pm • # 2 

Gene, it'd be much easier to just use a light action spinning rod with crickets and catch them. :eek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:42 pm • # 3 

yeah, I do that too Cliff; but not all the time-p-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:05 am • # 4 

On my 000wt., I've been running a Rio .024 intermediate shooting line with a shooting head made out of the running line off an old Type 6 sinking line. I attach the two with a Wright & McGill (Eagle Claw) Leader Link. It casts well and sinks like a chain.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:50 am • # 5 

will the leader link pass thru line guides? My main problem with my set up is getting the connection to go thru the guides. It would be good if I could cast the entire head outside the guides so it doesn't rattle going thru-p-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:33 am • # 6 
Administrator

Gimper,
Your concept is what I talked about a few years back using a length of 6-8 WT clear intermediate. It holds UL lines in current very well.
One guy gave a good report on a clear sink which I sent few years back
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=968&p=12008#p12008

Les

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:37 am • # 7 

after trying Tom Nixon's fly line splice technique, it worked but was not pretty and could get bulky. Gene's variation of Tom's using more modern adhesives should be smaller diameter.
I would like to see the welded loop process modified for splices. could match UL guides better

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:16 pm • # 8 

I'm getting a fly down to 12' to 20' in still water. I tried a long 12' leader of florecarbon unsuccessfully. Will the technique work to gain depth in stillwater Les?-p-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:31 pm • # 9 

The leader links 'tick' thru the guides, but they don't stutter much at all.

For the shooting head I'm using the running line off of a 4wt. Type 6 sinking line about 8ft. long ( @ ~ 45 gr. ). I've been getting down to the 20ft. depth mark without much of a problem at all.

My next project is to dye the .024 int. running line from the orange to something more mute. I'm catching fish now so I wouldn't have to dye it, but it bugs me so I'm just going to do it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:01 pm • # 10 
Administrator

Gene,
It can work, but max length I found useful for a 1WT was 18". Too much and it might hinge.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:34 am • # 11 

I've got to try it; thanks-p-

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply