It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:36 am • # 1 

Hey guys,

I've been on the water more than tying the last few weeks, but I did put together one SBS to share.

This one is a pattern by Bob Clouser that I was only vaguely familiar with until they came up on a list of recommended carp patterns. While they definitely work for that purpose, they're a nice lightweight option for bass as well.

https://fatfingeredflytyer.com/clousers-swimming-nymph-step-by-step/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:12 pm • # 2 

Something new to try! Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:00 am • # 3 

strummer wrote:
Something new to try! Thanks for sharing

I've been delving into Clouser's patterns a bit more lately. This, along with Clouser's Suspender (recommended to me on this forum a few months back), have become regulars in my warmwater box. I highly recommend both.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:38 am • # 4 

Great job, Chris. Thanks so much. I've saved this one, and will tie up a few for sure. I fish smallies in a lake that has tons of crayfish AND dragonflies; can't lose!
brent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:45 am • # 5 

Brent, if it was YOUR thread you could call them crayfish. But since it is Chris_in_Louisiana's thread you have to call them crawfish. If you were in Louisiana and called them crayfish you would be cut up in pieces and used for crawfish bait.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:34 am • # 6 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
Brent, if it was YOUR thread you could call them crayfish. But since it is Chris_in_Louisiana's thread you have to call them crawfish. If you were in Louisiana and called them crayfish you would be cut up in pieces and used for crawfish bait.

Haha. As I grew up in upstate NY, I still have to make a conscious effort to say "crawfish" when speaking to local fishermen. No quicker way to get the cold shoulder than to accidentally call them "crayfish."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:37 am • # 7 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Great job, Chris. Thanks so much. I've saved this one, and will tie up a few for sure. I fish smallies in a lake that has tons of crayfish AND dragonflies; can't lose!
brent

Thanks, Brent! I'd imagine you'll clean up on smallies with this one. Not sure I'll get into any myself this summer, but I am hoping to venture far enough NE to get into the various Redeye Bass species that occur in Northern Alabama and Georgia. Have to imagine this pattern is just made for the small, clear streams that those species inhabit.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:50 am • # 8 

:lol :lol :lol Crayfish, crawfish, crawdads, mudbugs. How about 'lobsterettes' in deference to us nor-easters?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:32 pm • # 9 

Thanks Chris, looks like a killer fly! In deference to our Canadian fish I’ve tied up a couple as crayfish.

Harry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:40 pm • # 10 

Great fly. I particularly like them in olive and tied super sparse without a wingcase.

I kinda want to try them for bonefish on my trip in 2022.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:10 pm • # 11 

The Clouser Swimming nymph is a great all around pattern. I have caught bluegill, crappie, bass and trout with them. The only difference is that for the legs I use a feather from rooster saddle hackle.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:47 am • # 12 

Thanks everyone.

toothybugs wrote:
Great fly. I particularly like them in olive and tied super sparse without a wingcase.

softhackle wrote:
The Clouser Swimming nymph is a great all around pattern. I have caught bluegill, crappie, bass and trout with them. The only difference is that for the legs I use a feather from rooster saddle hackle.

Do either of you have pictures of your versions? I'd love to see them.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:18 am • # 13 

Chris_in_Louisiana wrote:
Thanks everyone.

toothybugs wrote:

softhackle wrote:

I don’t have one now but I will dig out one take a photograph for you.
Do either of you have pictures of your versions? I'd love to see them.

Chris

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply