It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Baby Leech
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:34 am • # 1 

Hey guys,

Wanted to share a simple rabbit fur "soft hackle" pattern I just added to the SBS page on my website. I received this pattern in size 6 as part of a recent fly swap and decided to tie a few of my own after it produced FIVE species in the first 30 minutes on my tippet (pics can be seen in the Fishing Report forum).

I've only tied these in black thus far, but think I'll be tying a few in olive and "crawfish" for my carp box as well.

Let me know what you think:

Baby Leech Fly Step-by-Step

Post subject: Re: Baby Leech
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:59 pm • # 2 

Nice tie! Every once in a while as I add more exotic fly tying materials to my shopping cart I ponder the fact that a black bushy hackled fly like that could probably serve as the only fly you would ever need to be a successful warmwater fly fisherman, and that most success from day to day is technique and conditions and putting your fly in front of fish and that the actual fly is largely immaterial. And then I pay for my order and tie a bunch new hip patterns in exotic fish-catching colors like UV chartreuse and silver sparkle braid anyway.

Tied a bit differently but in terms of sihouette that's very similar to the carp soft hackles (usually in olive or orange) that are very popular out here on the Columbia River and drainages:

credit: http://www.flycarpin.com/2011/06/soft-h ... big-c.html

credit: http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... ly_04.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:44 am • # 3 

lka wrote:
And then I pay for my order and tie a bunch new hip patterns in exotic fish-catching colors like UV chartreuse and silver sparkle braid anyway.

Thanks, lka. And glad to hear that I'm not the only one guilty of this.

Nice carp soft hackle as well. I'll keep that in mind next time the opportunity arises for some river carping (possibly my NY trip in May?). Closer to home, I've realized I'm best served by near weightless carp patterns as the water is rarely more than 3' deep and often less than 12" on some of the local flats. I tie plenty of patterns with dumbell or bead chain eyes designed for drag and drop. And while they do draw interest if presented well (right under the carp's nose), it seems like an unweighted wet or nymph drifted or actively retrieved within a foot or so of a carp's eye is the best bet. The fish will actually turn and chase these.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:07 pm • # 4 

Nice ties , both of ya . I suck at tying . No patience and compared to rod building (which I suck at too) its expensive . Much easier to buy on Egay .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:55 pm • # 5 

Looks like a good one to try! Thanks for sharing.

(I picked up those hareline material clamps for such flies. Makes removing the hide a cinch.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:29 pm • # 6 

strummer wrote:
Looks like a good one to try! Thanks for sharing.

(I picked up those hareline material clamps for such flies. Makes removing the hide a cinch.)

I need to invest in one of those. Believe it or not, I actually left the Zonker strip attached to the hide until after the fibers were secured in the dubbing loop on this tie. Once the fibers were secured within the loop, I trimmed off the hide and spun the fibers. Worked surprisingly well, but a clamp would make life a lot easier.

Chris

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply