It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Cap Spider SBS
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:43 am • # 1 

Hey guys,

I just posted another quick and easy SBS that may be of interest to those who aren't already familiar with the pattern.

It is admittedly a pattern I was unaware of until I moved to Louisiana a decade ago, but is popular enough down here with sunfish anglers that I made a point of always keeping a few in my warmwater box.

Cap Spider Step-by-Step

Let me know what you think.

Chris

Post subject: Re: Cap Spider SBS
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:23 pm • # 2 

Amen, Chris. I was sent a few of these by a fellow who used to frequent this page, from North Carolina, when he heard I was leaving the great white north to fish for bluegill in South Carolina. I couldn't get over how effective they were!
brent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:39 pm • # 3 

Gonna try that one out! Subscribed, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:17 pm • # 4 

The Cap Spider is definitely a good sunfish fly. Two or three Texas friends recommended it to me before I fished Caddo Lake on the Texas/Louisiana border. Simple to tie and very effective. I tied mine on 1/80 oz. and 1/100 oz. jig hooks. I thought they might also be good for trout, fished as a nymph. During next trout season here, I fished them with the rubber legs cut short, and hooked 2 or 3 trout of about 18". Unfortunately, the trout kept coming loose. When I checked the Cap Spider, I discovered the the thin bronze wire hooks just weren't up to the job, as the trout had straightened the hook out. I later purchased some jig hooks made with heavier wire, but have never used them so far.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:37 am • # 5 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Amen, Chris. I was sent a few of these by a fellow who used to frequent this page, from North Carolina, when he heard I was leaving the great white north to fish for bluegill in South Carolina. I couldn't get over how effective they were!
brent

They are remarkably effective. Supposedly, they're particularly popular with the Redear Sunfish/Shellcracker crowd. Lots of talk of long leaders and sinking lines over deep water in the summer. Makes me wonder how an up-sized version might on the giant redear out in Arizona.

Canoeman1947 wrote:
The Cap Spider is definitely a good sunfish fly. Two or three Texas friends recommended it to me before I fished Caddo Lake on the Texas/Louisiana border. Simple to tie and very effective. I tied mine on 1/80 oz. and 1/100 oz. jig hooks. I thought they might also be good for trout, fished as a nymph. During next trout season here, I fished them with the rubber legs cut short, and hooked 2 or 3 trout of about 18". Unfortunately, the trout kept coming loose. When I checked the Cap Spider, I discovered the the thin bronze wire hooks just weren't up to the job, as the trout had straightened the hook out. I later purchased some jig hooks made with heavier wire, but have never used them so far.

Larry

I was wondering if they might work on trout as well. I'll keep that in mind next time I make a cold water trip. Thanks!

strummer wrote:
Gonna try that one out! Subscribed, too.

Appreciate it, Strummer. Now if only I can figure out how to access the subscriber list...

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply