It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Midges
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:08 am • # 1 

As you might have already guessed, midge fishing is one of my favorite methods to enjoy fly fishing.  Here in Idaho, March, April and Early May are the best times to fish midges.  I hope to give some instruction to the reader on tying two patterns that are a must when fishing with midges.  The sizes below are what I call a #24 but I will let the reader in on a little secret, the hook is a Diachii wide gap, short shank #18.  I will show some photos of why they are my hook of choice when tying really tiny midges.  As the season progresses, tie the midges, gradually bigger and bigger, ending with a #18 or 16.  Again in the Fall, I reverse the process and start with a #16 and end with a #24 by late November.

First, I hope you will forgive the photography.  I am using a Point and Shoot and doing macro is touch to say the least with such simple equipment.

At the onset of the midge hatch, Larvae become active and begin 'wiggling' their way to the surface.  The first fly shown is what I call a suspended Larvae version of the popular Zebra Midges, which uses a heavy bead to get down deep.  IF I want to get deep, I just tie this fly behind a heavier weighted nymph, like I did yesterday in my "Fishing Reports Post".

This is the hook I use.  It is labeled a #1510 Diachii #18.

This is that hook compared to a #22 Nymph hook.  You can see it is smaller

This is that short #18 wide gap hook next to a standard Dry Fly #20...so I call it a #24...#22 at the biggest..whatever, it is small enough for tiny midges and the wide gap helps with hook sets...and keeping a fish hooked with such a small fly.

This is that short, wide gap hook next to a Dry Fly #16.

The bead I use.  I like plastic beads.  They come in more colors than metal and cost far less.

Slip a bead on the hook.

I being the fine silver wire right up against the bead to help hold it in place.

I use 8/0 Black (Tie a few in Red too), tie the wire back past the bend of the hook...another reason to use this wide gap hook.

My photography went to pieces so I missed a step or two, but I just use tying thread to form a very slightly tapered body.  I use a lot of Krazy Glue in my tying.  I run a thin film up the length of the body to help hold the thread in place and the wire in place over it...trust me, these flies take a beating in a fishes mouth and I caught over 10 fish yesterday on one fly.  I want a bullet proof fly.  I tie in a Peacock Herl for the gills.

Again with a thin film of Krazy Glue underneath, wrap a couple turns of herl at the head.  The herl will stay wound on the hook much longer if glued in place.

Now to tie the "Shucking Verson" of this fly, I use the same hook but no bead.  You want the butt of the fly to ride below the surface so it needs to be heavier but you want it to still hang suspended right at the surface like it is in the process of 'Shucking" or merging into an adult.

Use the same steps as in the beaded version of a midge.

Again a turn or two of Herl for 'effect'

Remember...Krazy Glue, man, Krazy Glue!

CDC is just too cool not to use.  It will float for quite awhile and when it begins to fail, tie on a new one, but save the old one for when the midge hatch is over and you fish the "Midge Fall" lol.  The fish are still hungry and looking for drowned midges.  When the fly is totally used, abused and beat up, it will still catch fish in a "midge fall" so save them.  That Krazy Glue will hold up for a long time.

Tie in 1/2 a CDC Puff

Secure with several wraps of thread that has a film of Krazy Glue on it.  No need to whip finish..the glue will hold.

Remember to tie some with Red 8/0 tying thread too.  I've even used Brown, Olive and Chartreuse version (don't ask me why Chartreuse but now and then, that color catches fish.

When you hook a fish on such a tiny fly, use fine tippet (I use 3lb) on a soft action rod.  This is where Glass and Cane come into play.  My Cabelas PT+ 2wt is just as good....but not as classy.

Enjoy.  Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Dave Gale
Just a stones throw from the South Fork Snake River, Idaho.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:57 am • # 2 

Excellent! I use the same hook. It's funny that you mentioned the crazy glue. I tried "hard as nails" from the WalMart lipstick section. People look at me when I browse through the fingernail polish!!
I'll have to try crazy glue. When I don't use anything, the thread near the hook point always gets loose and usually breaks.
And the herl near the bead........ that looks better than the plain midges I've tied.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:13 am • # 3 
Administrator

Great tutorial Dave. I like the Sally Hansen Hard as Nails too. Goes on clear and stays that way. I've had superglue turn white on me before.

J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:00 pm • # 4 

I also use the crazy glue, when it is handy. I will even use it over a thread body. Darkens the silk, but way more durable. Just don't put it on anything that you don't want soaked, like the CDC.

You gotta try the Purist with one of those little guys! Don

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:07 pm • # 5 

Nice rotary vise, David! I purchased one three years ago for $150 from Cabelas. That vise is a great, low priced and American made thing. I really like the heavy white base with rubber feet. It doesn't move around and has a neat rotary tension adjustment.
I also got a bobbin holder, but I seemed to have misplaced it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:52 pm • # 6 

David,

Nice post and photos, thanks,

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:45 am • # 7 

Thanks David! I fished my first midges yesterday and caught a couple nice browns. I'll have to try to get some pictures of the midges I tied up to share as well. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:39 am • # 8 

Dave, 
Great job on tying Midges.  I tied my first one and found that I should have bought a lighter weight wire.  This is opening up a whole new downsizing of tying for me.  I want to do some with CDC puffs next.  
Thanks for taking the time.

Marion

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:30 pm • # 9 

ImageThat is some nice work on a scale too small for me. Its hard for this ole man to hold a 12x glass and tie flies at the same time. My hats off to ya.
I tyied a few bream flies on # 18's.................They just didn't come out that great. Not sure how you manage to tie that small and have them come out so nice......The old eyes aren't what they used to be..................Don S. in SC

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:07 am • # 10 

Very nice. I don't know why, but I don't really fish nymphs or streamers so I thought I'd put up my dry version of a midge. It's a size 20 quill body.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:56 am • # 11 

Dave~

I was wondering on your "Shucking Version" if you have tried this pattern with a trailing shuck? Or is there a reason not to tie in shuck?

I am going to tie something very similar, and was looking for ideals!

Thanks
PBR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:18 am • # 12 

On a shucking midge, you would need to tie the fly 'lighter' so it would float.  Thread and wire patterns such as these, will sink.  The un beaded version of these midges will hang in the top few inches of water but not on top, even with CDC.  You could tie in a bit of foam that would be cover with CDC to aid on floating the fly right in film.  I am learning about midges and I change my mind about midge patterns about every year.  I've even changed my mind on these patterns...and I might come back to these midges by Fall...who knows.

Dave

Post subject: Re: Midges
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:39 pm • # 13 

I didn't see any fly :rollin I must be goin blind :rollin

Post subject: Re: Midges
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:25 am • # 14 

David:

Nice post. I saw a hatch of very small flies the other day. I guessed that they were midges. Unfortunately, I did not have anything to match them with. The fish did not seem to pay attention to them. Maybe they were feeding below the surface. Any way I'll be tying some.

Tom

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply