It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:27 am • # 1 

I like Clouser minnows, but don't like tying deer hair on small hooks. So after looking online and at fly catalogs.....I just sat down and tied a minnow look-alike with marabou. I only had two of these tied on the first HOT day I went fishing......(heat index 103).....I was catching 4 or 5 fish to my buddies one. So I gave him my SECOND fly and he started catching as many nice bream as me. WE put over 50 bream, mostly Sunfish, in the boat that afternoon. Later on I had a nice one break me off.......it is always a good idea to retie every once in a while when you are catching fish. So I finished the day fishing something else. NOW my buddy is catching 4 or 5 to MY one fish............Oh well. Since that day this fly has worked very well in the lake and the river. I have tied them in many colors.....but BLACK seems to be a favorite (at least with Sunfish). For rocky drop-offs and deeper water I have tied several on size 10 hooks with Medium bead-chain eyes. These work well also.....However they are a little harder to throw on a 2 or 3 weight.
Sooooooooo.......I am going to post the recipe here and pictures.....as soon as I can get them re-sized in photobucket.................Don S. in SC
01. On a size 12 wet nymph hook, put down an 8/0 thread base ( I used black thread no matter what color the fly )
02. Tie a piece of red ultra chenille on top of the hook from where the bead-chain eyes are going to be and let the other end hang out about 1/2 inch past the bend of the hook as a "teaser"
03. Figure -8 (size small) bead-chain eyes about 1/4 inch behind the hook eye.
04. Just behind the eyes, tie in 2 pieces of flash...wrap one side than fold-over and wrap the other side so you have two strands of flash tied to each side of the hook.
05. Select a piece of black marabou (just like you do for a wooley-bugger) and tie on top of the hook right behind the eyes.
06. Snip off the excess marabou right over the eyes as close as you can. Wrap over any remaining excess marabou over the neck and eyes.
07. Build up a nose and whip finish......cut off the four strands of flash just a little behind the longest part of the fly.
08. Put a little head-cement or CA glue on the nose and under the hook shank between the eyes.
         And there you have it......To fish this fly....Make a delicate cast and let it sink for a few seconds (be ready, many strikes come about now..) Give it a 6 or 8 inch strip and then pause a few seconds and let it sink again......Most strikes happen when the fly is falling. This fly sinks very slowly.....so don't be in a hurry. When it is HOT or a little too much wind to fish the top, give this pattern a try. I believe you will like it...
  In the last picture, the two flies on the left are the size 10's with medium bead-chain eyes...........(Lately have tied some size #6) The bass swallow them whole  !!!!
.........In the forums, I refer to this fly as the "MM Minnow"..............Don S. in SC  

ImageImage
Image Image
ImageImage

Last edited by Tailingloop on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:27 pm • # 2 

Nice ty Don S in SC!!

Justin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:24 pm • # 3 

Very nicely done.  Those are some good looking flies, I'm sure they work great.  Thinking I will have to tie some of these up for the summer.

Thanks for posting.

WF

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:22 pm • # 4 

nice fly-p-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:46 pm • # 5 

Don,
I am VERY impressed with this fly & you can bet I'll be tying some. Not overdressed, which is a common error seen with marabou.
Thanks for sharing.
Mikey

Last edited by ohiotuber on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:48 pm • # 6 

heck of a job TL !!! i'm going to whip up a couple of these when i get the chance .lake fish will love'm !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:17 pm • # 7 

I think I'll tie a few and see if the local small mouth like them. Thanks for posting!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:43 pm • # 8 

Just an update.............This has turned out to be my BEST producing fly to date. It appears anything that will eat a minnow with try to swallow this thing. Of all the flies I have given to friends I fish with, this is the one they all seem to want more of.  If I can't get the fish to come to the top, the MM minnow is the one I go to first.  I have tied them from a size #14 for small bream up to size #6 for bass. The ones I tie smaller than a #12 are tied just slightly different...................Instead of the chenille teaser, I tie on a very small marabou tail (in contrasting color) to the fly body. Instead of tying the flash along both sides, I tie the flash in just in front on the tail and then wrap in around the hook all the way up to the front and tie it off.  And I use xsmall bead-chain eyes. I will attach a picture as soon as I get it re-sized.  Good luck everyone...........Don S. in SC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:21 am • # 9 

I can confirm they are great flies...I fish a couple of gin clear ponds and at times the bite is tough...tied on a purple version and right away caught 3 bass over 2 pds and lost the darn thing on the 4th one....all four were caught off the same log and were caught on the initial cast as it was sinking...they sink slow so be patient...Great fly...Really nice of you to share your discovery with us...It works well guys!!! Btw Don made the pink ones for me...Pink is a hot color at these ponds for some reason...go figure? Cannot wait to give the pink ones a try at these ponds...Catfish love pink there and I hope to get a couple of nice ones on the pink version...

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply