It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:11 am • # 1 

I know this is pretty much a staple for small stream anglers, but beginners in the tying realm are sometimes intimidated by its complex appearance.  This is a shame, considering it's extremely buggy, visible, and floats like a cork and works in nearly any dry fly conditions.  In fact, I caught three wild trout on it Saturday, mid-November in a northern state, without a natural in the air.

It was my single most productive fly in 2010, outfishing any other dry, wet, or streamer (I don't fish nymphs more than 1-2% of the time).

Hopefully this will help out a new guy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:52 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Thanks Cold! I've been wanting to learn how to tie those. Well done.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:00 pm • # 3 

Thank you for posting...........I have never tied these, but I am sure they will work here. I think I will throw a few togeather and see what happens.........It may be spring before they get a good test here, the fish seem to have moved out...(too many cold nights)...Last time out only caught 5 or 6 and they were small.....BUT... They will start stocking the trout in the river in early Feburary..................Don S. in SC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:22 pm • # 4 

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the 'tute.  These things are absolute money on a small stream for native/wild trout, even when there's no hatch about, but especially when there's something...anything...coming off.  I've used stimmies to fish hatches of caddis, stones, large mayflies, hoppers, crane flies, and more.

How cold is it in SC, Don?  On Saturday, I had to bust ice out of the guides of my 1wt, then a few minutes later took a wild brookie up top on a stimmy. ;)  Sure it's not the most productive method after halloween, but I prefer 1 trout up top to 3 on nymphs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:53 pm • # 5 

The air temperature is not bad at all, but the cold (mid 30's to mid 40's) nights have turned the fish off. I know that is not cold at all compared to everyone up north, but the water temps have cooled enough to make the lake fishing here very slow indeed. Last Winter I caught bluegill and bass each month (mostly in ponds). But it took a lot of fishing and the results were very poor. Its just a big letdown from the amount of fish we were catching all spring and summer long. I guess it is time to do more fly tying................I can drive to NC and do some trout fishing, but that gets expensive.  I don't know how the folks in the COLD climates can do it. I guess I would never make a good ice fisherman.........( I am like you, I much prefer fishing top-water) But I caught more and bigger fish with the MM minnow this year............Don S. in SC 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:00 pm • # 6 

Thanks man; great tutorial; I need to tie some of those for the winter trout in oklahoma-p-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:21 pm • # 7 

Cold............I tied a couple of these and even thou mine may not look as nice as yours, I feel the fish will pop them for sure. It may be spring before I can give them a real test, but I am looking forward to it....Don S. in SC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:51 am • # 8 

Don, these don't have to be perfect to fish well. I'm sure your first few outings with them will be enough to convince you to continue to 'practice' tying them. The main objective here is that they need to be heavily hackled to float like a cork. The elk hair also helps keep them up, and doubles as a highly visible marker.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply