It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: ultra-lite mini poppers
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:55 am • # 1 

Here's some pics which are probably self explanatory for making mini poppers from balsa wood sticks from the hobby shop
The materials needed:
popper bodies from sharpening balsa sticks
hooks used
drill bit is used to make a concave head; if desired
popper sized on hook
after making slit in balsa for hook, it works better if you wrap some thread over hook and body, which will be hidden by paint
completed popper
you can cover body with sallys for extra protection; or paint how you want it

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:30 am • # 2 

Those are cool.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:43 am • # 3 
Administrator

That bug reminds me of the old Marm minnow popper you would see or read about in some of the older fly fishing books.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:02 am • # 4 

I learned to build these from an article in the old warmwater fly fishing magazine. I always use a short tail of some kind of flash. I have caught some really large bass on these; one over 8 pounds and several 5 and 6 pounders; mostly smaller bass, but the large bass suck it it and it hangs in their gill rakers, making it impossible for them to throw the hook; clear or white with a black line or blue line across the back is what i use mostly. The aberdeen hooks are used because theyre very light and because they can be bent off snags with 6# tippet.
The 1/4 inch balsa sticks will fit in a pencil sharpener if you round the edges with some sandpaper. These can easily be cast on my one weight or my fiberglass 2 or 3 weights, which are much more limber than the graphite one weights
try em; you'll like em -p-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:08 am • # 5 

Thanks for posting.................That's a great idea for making popper bodies.............Don S. in SC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:07 pm • # 6 
Administrator

That's really cool, Gene! I like the pencil sharpener idea a lot!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:59 am • # 7 

That looks great, Tell us about that bobbin too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:09 am • # 8 

that is the small S&M bobbin; bought some of them at a trade show several years ago. Can't remember much about them;theyre ok; nothing real special
here's someone's response on another forum:
Re: s&m bobbins? "billy joe"

Flytyingworld.com sold the last one a couple days ago. I have tried to contact John Marona for 6 months or more to get more but unable to get a response from him "phone, email, or mail with a self addressed stamped envelope".

According to other suppliers, he sold the production to Wasatch and the original bobbins are no longer available. We sold well over a thousand in the last 10 years so will miss not having them. We only have Wasatch now and they cost over 3 times the price I was getting the originals from John. Those unnecessary wooden sleeves and ceramic inserts sure are expensive.

Ceramic bobbins seem to be what tiers were looking for the last few years so John made some ceramic insert bobbins. The insert was too small for 3/0 and even 6/0 was too hard to thread. A threader wouldn't fit and would break the ceramic if tried. Not long after that John sold out to Wasatch. They improved the insert but I strongly suggest tiers not use metal wire threaders on any ceramic. Plastic dental threaders "found at drug stores" will work fine. What I do is remove the spool and suck the thread through first. It is a little hard to start the thread in the tube with the spool in because it is so close to the tube. That is one reason the thread doesn't fall out like with other types, even when standing upright. I also use a small piece of flexible tubing over the tips to keep the thread in place. The tubing can be from a tube fly kit or an aquarium supply.

I got a little carried away but maybe someone will appreciate the info. Ed.

Last edited by pearow on Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:36 am • # 9 

Location: Lorain, Ohio but can be found in fishing waters of West by God West Virginia and southern Ohio.
Nice!! Want to do it better? Use a pencil sharpner to get the shape ,cut with razor blade and finish sanding. That is how I do mine for #12.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:00 am • # 10 

I used to make these when I was a teenager. Brought back a lot of memories.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:57 pm • # 11 

I'll just say what ever one else has--Great Popper. I'll be looking for some balsa now. I wonder if Home Depot carries it?

Marion

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:08 pm • # 12 

Marion.......Go to any hobby shop that carries RC model airplanes......they should have balsa (strips and blocks) in many different sizes.......I have never seen it carried in hardware stores....."good-luck"..........Don in SC

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:33 pm • # 13 

Has anyone taken a look at Anthony Hipps Foam poppers, they are extremely light and very durable, he's listed as a featured tyer at Wards Warmwater fly tyer website.
http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/corner.asp

we was at our local club last spring and did a demo... heres the site for the video of it http://vimeo.com/27694377

I won a full box of an assortment of them that night :D :D :D

let me know if you have any questions or want to see pictures of what i have, i olny use them with my ultralight rods..
Mark

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply