It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:42 pm • # 1 

If I remember correctly, Michael Verduin won a National Bream-Fishing championship with his "Cap-Spider". I tie the "jig-head" version about the same as he did except I tie the legs on differently (I could never get them to look right tying them the way he did). I am showing both the jig-head version and the streamer-hook version. Be careful not to put too much weight on this fly. It is supposed to sink very slowly. Michael recommeded a slow steady retrive.............That indeed does work for this fly. When you can't get much action on top .....this fly or a minnow imatation is the way to go. The biggest Crappie I ever caught on a fly-rod was caught with a Cap-Spider. Tie a few of these and keep them in your fly box, you won't believe how well they work. (These look a lot like "BIG TOE'S tussel-bug).

01. Using a 1/80 jig-head, put down a thread base then tie in a small pinch of marabou for a tail (I like red for this).

02. Tie in a piece of chenille across the top of the hook (as shown)

03. Wrap chenille forward and tie off.

04. Hold one strand of rubber leg on each side of the body and wrap thread so legs will "stand-out" as shown.

05. Whip-finish just behind the head and put a drop of cement on the finish wrap.

I feel this next version is better using a good streamer-hook and dump-bell or bead-chain eyes. (better hook means more hook-ups and more fish to hand)

01. Fly is started the same way except a streamer hook instead of jig-head.

Same tie as before except we will (in this case use dumb-bell eyes)

02. Figure "8" some (either bead-chain or dumb-bell eyes in place)

03. Whip-finnish as before.

04. Here's what they look like, also pictured are some I tied with a few wraps of lead wire instead of the eyes. If you are fishing in a grassy area, these don't snag as much grass as the ones with eyes will.

Last year on the coldest days I fished, the Cap-Spiders saved the day a few times....................Good luck, and please post pictures with the fish you catch with these...........Don S. in SC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:46 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Great job, Don! Thanks for posting that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:09 pm • # 3 

yep nice stuff Loop ..

i watch MV's cap spider video on youtube every once in a while good video but sad also ..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:10 pm • # 4 

Add another one to the list for this winter!...With all of the patterns I'm finding for wet 'gill flies, I'm gonna have a HELLUVA arsenal for the spring!  Image

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:08 am • # 5 

Guess I'll be tying a few more flies. Thanks for the pattern.

Tom

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply