It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: My Hopper
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:39 pm • # 1 

Here goes, this is my first step by step for a hopper pattern. I was asked to post a step by step here and for the reel seat that I'm going to be turning this weekend. I would like to thank skyfireblaze for giving me the slip rings, and butt cap.

Hook: Size 14 Standard Dry Fly
Body: Woven/knotted contrasting color craft thread and 2mm foam cut into a diamond
Legs: rubber silly legs

Tie in your thread and run back to the bend of the hook
Tie in your craft thread, one color on each side of the hook at the bend. Once tied in whip finish and cut off tying thread.
Rotate the shaft of your vise so that it is facing you. Grasp both pieces of craft thread and pull straight out to the side. form a standard overhand knot always pulling straight out to the side. If you look close the thread on the left is over the top of the hook shaft. and the right is under the hook shaft.
Continure the knotting process until you get about 3/4 of the way up the hook shaft.
Tie in you tying thread at the hook eye and secure the tag ends of the craft thread.
Cut the excess craft thread off and wrap toward the back of the hook to thabout the half way point. Place foam on top of the hook and tie in with several tight wraps.
next take four silly legs, place into pairs and tie a not in each pair. Tie in the paired legs on each side of the foam body.Whip finish and remove the thread.
Last step trim off the legs to the length desired, and dot the foam body with a perm marker.

Post subject: Re: My Hopper
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:49 pm • # 2 

Thanks for posting......I may have to try the "knoted" body/underbelly. That's a neat idea..............Don S. in SC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:51 am • # 3 

Nice job on your first step-by-step! I'm looking forward to seeing some fishing report pictures with these hoppers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:56 am • # 4 

Thanks, these are actually for the spring swap. But I plan on tying up a few extra to throw on my box. With my work schedule fir the next few months, not sure when I'll have a chance to fish them. But will post results of my trips.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:30 pm • # 5 

Very nice

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:41 am • # 6 

Can't see the photos :/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:58 am • # 7 

Do not see the photos either. Love hopper patterns though, generally use small letorts in size 14 16 during the summer.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply