It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:01 pm • # 1 

I have been fishing this fly in sizes 8 and 6. This version is tied on a size 10. I cut these disks with a 6.5mm TCU cartridge case (.263). A 1/4 inch disk will work, the 6.5mm gives me just a little more disk area after they are tied in. I bevel/sharpen the inside of my cartridge case mouth with a camfering tool (a reloaders tool). Then just a few lite taps with a hammer and you get a perfect disk. So here goes.............

01. Put down a thread base and tie in a Marabou tail

02. Tie in some flash and then built a small hump of thread where you tied in the marabou.

03. Cut your disk from 2mm foam (cartridge case/ tubing etc.)

04. Tie in the first disk as shown

05. Tie in the remaining disk (4 or 5 depending on the length of your hook)

06. Place two strands of rubber legs between the first and second disk ( add a drop of foam safe CA glue)

07. Whip finish over a thread built up nose

08. Place a drop or two of CA glue on underside of fly (hook/thread-base and into disk "very lightly")/ seperate legs

09. Set up to dry

On the last one I put one strand of legs between the 1-2 and 2-3 disk to better seperate the legs, this may be better but I will need to fish it first to see if it works as well as two strands put together.

My last time out to the lake the gills (sunfish) were killing my size 8. I missed a lot more than I caught because of the size of the fly and hook size. The larger versions of this fly are a great Bass fly, I believe the size 10 will be a "killer" Gill fly.
Good luck everyone, anyone wanting more info or has a question....just send me a message and I will anwser as soon as I can..................(This size will be easier to throw with a 2 or 3wt than the size eight) ......Don in SC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:12 pm • # 2 

So I tied up a few of the ducks last night and took them over to the lake tonight.
I alternated yellow and lime green foam, with a yellow tail. Huge hit! Bluegills, and LMB took the fly.
As I was coming out of the water. (Wet waded in about 3ft.) I had a guy approach me and start asking questions about the flies I was using and other general FF questions. Turns out he is fairly new to FF. We had a good discussion about rods, reels, flies, etc. At the end of the conversation, I gave him a couple of ducks, and a few spiders in different colors. I gave him the addy to this site as well. This has been a great resource for me, I hope he stops in to check it out. Don thanks for sharing the pattern. The duck has earned its place in the fly box.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:56 am • # 3 

Those are beautiful :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:57 pm • # 4 

I'm going to tie some up. I need to figure out a punch. I guess a .30-.30 would be to big. Thanks Don.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:57 pm • # 5 

I think 30/30 might work or if you need something smaller I went to a local hobby store and bought some copper tubing and a countersink to to shapen the the inside.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:22 am • # 6 

I cut some circles by hand and tied up a couple. I want to do another before going out and testing. Besides the Sneaky-"Ducking" I tied some deer hair flies that I hope to be weedless. The guy on the other site was using a "size 2" hook and I've downsides it to a 10, although I might try an 8 next time. The rock bass hide in the weeds and I think the weedless fly will lure them out.
Thanks Don for the great work up.

Marion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:10 pm • # 7 

Thanks Marion, please post pictures of the fish you catch with them...........Don in SC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:48 pm • # 8 

Does anyone have an extra bullet casing like that they'd be willing to send me????

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:10 pm • # 9 

I'm not clear on how to "tie in" the discs.
Do you punch a hole and slip them on over the hook eye tying a bump of thread between them?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:57 pm • # 10 

Roofish wrote:
Does anyone have an extra bullet casing like that they'd be willing to send me????

Here is the punches I use for foam...

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-ho ... -3838.html

If you want a set to use in the drill press or hand held drill, these work great....

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-ho ... 67030.html

Brad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:56 pm • # 11 

wabi wrote:
I'm not clear on how to "tie in" the discs.
Do you punch a hole and slip them on over the hook eye tying a bump of thread between them?

I believe all you need to do is bend them over the hook shank & wrap 2 or 3 times should do it:)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:05 pm • # 12 

Kaboom wrote:
Roofish wrote:

Here is the punches I use for foam...

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-ho ... -3838.html

If you want a set to use in the drill press or hand held drill, these work great....

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-ho ... 67030.html

Brad

Those are what Bob Boese also suggested at Fly Anglers Online. I was thinking about it the other day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:22 pm • # 13 

Build up a little hump of thread at the front of the tail, then just lay the disk on top of the hook (with the back end of the disk laying on the thread hump), then tie the disk in over the front edge of the disk. It doesn't take a lot of the disk to tie it in, just be sure you use enough so it is not easy for the disk to tear-out. Then overlap the next disk, as shown in the step X step, and tie each one in until you have enough for good floatation. With a little practice it is not hard to do at all. Be sure each disk is tied 90 degrees to the hook bend so the fly will float level in the water............On a good day, I will catch several Bass while I am fishing for BG with the little sneaky-duck........... Good luck everyone................Don in SC

Last edited by Tailingloop on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:48 pm • # 14 

This is a killer pattern. If you put a little CA between each disc as you tie it on it makes the fly much more durable. Also, some versions apply a hackle in front of the tail material, behind the last disc. I've done them both ways and don't know that it makes much difference. I've also used rabbit zonkers instead of the marabou tail. That also gives you a little more base to put the discs on. Either way you do it, you'll be happy with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:17 pm • # 15 

Ordered a punch set so I can tie a few.

Thanks for the clarification of how to tie in the discs!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:21 pm • # 16 

Would a .223 cartilage work?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:22 pm • # 17 

That's ".223 cartridge".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:53 pm • # 18 

The .223 case is a bit too small (.224), for the size 10 I used a 6.5mm (.263) but a .270 Winchester case (.277) will work too. The .270 is a common deer rifle cartridge and .277 size disk will work on size 8 or 10 flies. When I tried to tie these smaller than size 10, they just didn't seem to work very well (wanted to turn up-side down and didn't look right when I "twitched" them in the water). I use a camfering tool to sharpen the inside of the case mouth.....but you could do the same thing with a very small file (you want the mouth of the case to be pretty sharp so it will cut the disk "cleanly").................Good Luck.
Toss this fly under the willow trees around the lake/pond this spring and you will NOT be disappointed..........Don in SC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:07 am • # 19 

When I tied my size 10s I used a 1/4" plug cutter for wood working, 3/8" for the size 6s and I have a 1/2" for 4s and 2s if I want to bust out the bigger rods.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:21 pm • # 20 

Had to give it a try with what I had on hand. ::)
Used some yellow foam and a leather punch of about ¼".
#10 Mustad hook, yellow marabou, yellow legs, yellow foam, yellow UNI 6/0 thread.

I think when my punch set gets here I'll try a slightly larger diameter disc, but I was satisfied with the basic attempt.

BTW - For those who use CA glue a tip ;) - I read it was best to store CA glue in the refrigerator. The bottle of glue I used on this fly is well over a year old (1½-2 years) and still works like new!

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ] New Topic Add Reply