It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:46 pm • # 1 

I believe Don had asked that I post a picture of the fly I was using down on the Farmington River last Friday. As I had said I had tied only four of the super heavy flies and lost two to fish that hit it so hard it broke the tippet when they hit. I ended up losing a third to the bottom so I have returned to the bench to tie up some more. It is a basic tie and is not difficult. You can adjust the amount of weight depending on where and how fast you want it to sink.

I started with a size 8, 900BL hook. I only use barbless hooks for all my fishing but that is my choice. I add a 4mm (5/32) tungsten bead and wrap the hook with med non-lead wire taking twenty wraps up to the bead and about 8 wraps back down over the thorax area.

I then wrap over the lead with the thread so I have a smooth base to work on.

Next I dub a ball of black hairtron dubbing at the bend of the hook. This is to keep the tail splayed out.

Next I tie in a pair of goose biots, one on each side.

Next I tie in a piece of ‘small’ pearl flash for a rib.

I then use a mix of black hairtron dubbing and squirrel brite dubbing up to the thorax, then wrap the pearl flash rib.

I then tie in a piece of black Swiss straw for the wing case and then continue dubbing the thorax of the fly.

I take a cheap hen cape and pull a feather for the legs.

I cut the veins off the right side of the feather with the convex side facing me. That reduces the bulk and lets the hackle lay down easier.

I take two wraps and tie it off.

I then cut the feather veins off the top before I pull the Swiss straw forward and tie off. A whip finish and the fly is done.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:55 pm • # 2 

Nice Joe Im inspired to try that fly in my rivers here thank you.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:32 pm • # 3 

Thank you......That is a great looking fly. I always learn something every time someone puts up a step X step like this. I will have to give this one a try, I believe it will work great in the Saluda river.............Don in SC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:15 pm • # 4 

nice!!!-p-

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply