It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:15 am • # 1 

Don asked if I would do a step X step on the droppers I tied up the other day. First I collect the items I will use. The tail is a tan dyed grizzly saddle. The bright spot is fluorescent pink thread, the body is brown tying thread, the rib is small gold wire and the thorax is superbrite dubbing. I use a size 16 barbless hook from Dohiku that is manufactured in Slovakia. They have shorter shanks and wider gaps with a point that curves slightly upwards. The bead is a (2 mm) 5/64 gold t fit a size 16-18 hook.

*OK, slide the bead on the hook and mount in the vise.
*Next tie in the tail, be sparse using only 5-6 barbs
*The bright spot is tied in next. Most of the fluorescent threads are multi stranded so I usually tie a knot into the end of the thread then pull out about six inches and cut it off. That way when I pull the strands they stay together and I can twist it to keep it thin.
*I then tie in the gold wire for the rib and build the body with the brown thread
*Wrap the wire up and tie off.
*Dub the thread for the thorax and wrap it on the fly and then whip finish.

You can change up the colors and have anything from a cream colored fly all the way to black fly.

For a point fly I use a size 12 barbless hook and a oversized tungsten bead. I also wrap some lead substitute wire on the hook shank. I want this fly to sink quickly in fast water. On this fly all I used was tubing for the body and dubbing for the thorax. I also put pearl flash on the hook to shine through the tubing on the lighter colored tubing.

*Slide the bead on the hook and wrap with extra lead wire for additional weight
*Cover lead with thread and tie in the pearl flash down to the bend of the hook
*Wrap the thread back up the hook then the pearl flash and tie off.
*Start the tubing behind the bead and tie it down the hook along the top of the shank pulling it to stretch it a little.
*Bring the thread back up to behind the bead and put a half hitch in it
If you have a rotary vise, pull on the tubing to stretch it and spin it up the hook laying the wraps against the previous wrap to create a segmented body.
*Tie off the tubing and clip
*Dub the thread and build a thorax and complete with a whip finish.

In the example I had used brown tubing and it did not show the pearl underbody. I then tied some with light olive tubing and some with tan tubing. It is hard to see the difference in the photos but they do have different shades. Also by tying the tubing down the top of the hook it puts two layers of tubing over the pearl flash base and gives the fly a two tone finish as well as segmentation.

Most of the browns I caught over the weekend took the dropper shown here while the rainbows and brookies took the point fly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:22 am • # 2 
Administrator

Well done, Joe! Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:54 pm • # 3 

Thanks Joe......You don't know how much we appreciate these step X step fly demos. It sure makes tying a lot easier.
I am about to under-take fishing droppers again. .....................Don in SC

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply