It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: #18-20 BWO Emerger
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:30 pm • # 1 

Bad photography I know but here is a basic step by step of my goto emerger pattern for small mayfly patterns, like this BWO or with slightly different materials, Mahogany or PMD emergers.

I use a Daiichi #22 1270 2x long curved hook and SHEER 14/0 dun or light olive thread.

Wrap the thread back most of the way to the bend of the hook.

I burn tiny wings from translucent wing material. I tie the material right through the middle, criss cross the thread several times and use a tad of krazy glue to secure from spinning or sliding (fly longevity). Trim excess of wings to form tiny wings, trying to emerge.

I like to tie in a small bubble of closed cel foam (white seems to be fine) right on top of the wings and trim down. What I am trying to do here is get the fly to hang, butt down in the water's film and I believe the foam while it does not hang the fly right on the surface, it does hang the fly more vertical portraying a rising nymph, or better a failed hatch or cripple which got sucked under and is trying to get back to the surface. I am a firm believer in fishing cripples, stuck in shuck or drowning insects right in the film (which explains the popularity of wet flies through the years) during hatches rather than perfect dry right on top. The tiny fly might be very hard or impossible to see but you can still see the boil or take but you have to guess if the take was on your fly....a game of nerves.

Next, tie in Xtra Fine Copper wire and two tiny strands of pheasant tail fibers (olive dyed for BWO, Regular for Mahogany or bleached for PMD). Before wrapping the two thin fibers, I like to apply krazy glue to the threaded shank of the hook, which I believe adds to durability. I also prefer to wrap the wire the same direction as I did the pheasant tail fibers, which I know is contrary to most tying instructions but hear me out - I try to wrap the feather fibers almost perfectly around the shank, while I over wrap the wire at a slightly steeper angle to the wrapped feather fibers....it secures it perfectly and does away with the criss/cross look that goes away from the look of a segmented body and I like to keep the tying direction of all my materials the same.

At the tail (eye end of the hook), I tie in a trailing or failing shuck of ice dub or zelon, burnt orange or olive, whatever to match up the fly.

There ya go, Dave's backward failing emeger...#18-20.

Post subject: Re: #18-20 BWO Emerger
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:12 pm • # 2 

I have the same vice :-) thanks for the step by step

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:14 am • # 3 

I'll take a dozen! What can I offer you in trade? :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:32 pm • # 4 

Interesting pattern. Is there a theory behind tying backward?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:11 pm • # 5 

loomis4wt wrote:
I'll take a dozen! What can I offer you in trade? :)

If you pm me your mailing address, I'll send you a few, no fee needed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:15 pm • # 6 

okimoto wrote:

Well, I try not to come up with a lot of 'theory' behind fly patterns other than some look cool...hence possibly effective. Tying flies backwards on the hook is something we see more and more in the magazines and books.

To tell the truth, tying a fly backwards makes sense when presenting the fly upstream as most hatched or emerging bugs (as well as even the fish themselves) always face upstream. So it is possible that a fly tied normally would work better when cast down stream....but that is just theory and like I said, I try not to over think that much.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:03 pm • # 7 

DCG wrote:
okimoto wrote:

To tell the truth, tying a fly backwards makes sense when presenting the fly upstream as most hatched or emerging bugs (as well as even the fish themselves) always face upstream. So it is possible that a fly tied normally would work better when cast down stream....but that is just theory and like I said, I try not to over think that much.

Very interesting, I've never thought that way... that's the joy of fly fishing, the never ending learning process :-)

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply