It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:12 am • # 1 

...my half arse step x step tie. I had to substitute a couple things from JC's recipe. My tying skill still leaves much room for improvement too. I did clean up the stray fibers seen in the tying pictures, they are mostly gone in the finished pics.

What it's supposed to look like:

I used the following:

#12 heavy scud hook
140 chartreuse thread
Chartreuse ice dubbing
Chartreuse micro tubing
Chartreuse ultra-wire (BR)
Swiss Straw black
Caddis wing burner small
Tan 8/0 Uni thread
Tan micro fine dubbing
Brown roosterneck for the legs
Mallard Flank for the antennae

Getting the ultra wire feed into the micro tubing took longer than anything...maybe when the recipe calls for SM size; it should be obvious that BR size it too fat.

My wings aren't perfectly symmetrical.

Probably a reason pheasant tail fiber are called for on the legs, rooster neck fibers are a bit thin.

All in all not terrible, I'll fish it.

Last edited by Cowpokey on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:21 am • # 2 

Fish don't swim around with rulers and color charts :lol I'm sure you will slam them with it. Nice StepXstep, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:30 am • # 3 

Joe C wrote:
Fish don't swim around with rulers and color charts :lol I'm sure you will slam them with it. Nice StepXstep, thanks.
They don't??? :rollin

Thanks for the complement.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:54 am • # 4 

Yeah..........The Sunfish would fight over that one in lake Murray....(anywhere else too, I'll bet) Don in SC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:28 am • # 5 

I was thinking about doing this pattern for the fly swap but didn't have everything for it. Now I might do it for the next one, but I gotta get some smaller wire...it's such a pain in the hind quarters to get the BR size to feed it into the micro tubing. I didn't think the size difference was that much between BR and SM, but it's the same as 1x (.010") vs 4x (.007") tippet. :o

Also need to find a place that sells the micro tubing more than 3 feet at a time, it takes 6 inches of the stuff per fly. Anyone know of a place?

Edited to add

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:25 am • # 6 

Well, I have all the correct ingredients for the recipe now...the SM (small) size ultra wire isn't much easier to get fed into the micro tubing than the BR (brassie) size. >:

It is an attractive pattern, I just gotta figure out what the "trick" is to getting the wire fed into the tubing. This will be a future fly swap pattern, frustration be damned! :lol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:52 pm • # 7 

That looks good. I wonder if wire + Sally Hansen's or Softex works.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:49 am • # 8 

I got some Hareline "Midge" tubing, it's the next size up from "micro" in their stretch tubing. Getting the wire fed inside is easier, not easy...but much better. I also got some pheasant tail feathers so I have the correct legs for the pattern, not sure why I didn't have any with all of them that I killed growing up in So Dak. Anyho, I tied a couple more. One 6" piece of the midge size tubing with wire inside was good for two flies. Each package has three feet of tubing, so I should get a dozen flies out of each.

#12 heavy scud hook:

Last edited by Cowpokey on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:01 am • # 9 

Nice. How about wrapping just the wire first then the tubing over it. Give it a try and see what the visual results are. If close, it has to be a much easier and quicker tie.

P.S. Fish will never know the difference.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:12 am • # 10 

That might work, I don't know. One could probably forget the wire all together and just put some tinsel under the tubing, but I'm guessing the wire helps give it just a little weight? Probably easier for *me* to manage wrapping over the dubbed under-body with the wire in the tubing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:12 am • # 11 

I just tried some different colors:

#12 Heavy Scud hook
Olive stretch tubing and olive SM size ultra wire* over olive dubbing for the body
Brown Swiss Straw wings
Tan micro dubbed head
Pheasant tail fiber legs
Barred mallard flank fiber antennae

I thought there would be more contrast between the body and the wing...also went a little exaggerated on antennae length. ::)

*Getting the wire inside the midge size stretch tubing isn't too tough, magically it got easy...or I figured it out, no idea. :lol

Last edited by Cowpokey on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:30 am • # 12 

For reference, I was trying to match the colors of this:

Should have stayed with black Swiss straw for the wings...and a lighter olive for the body.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:25 am • # 13 

Trying out color variations...these (orange ones on the left) are supposed to be along the lines of the October Caddis, or Halloween Caddis.

Gonna send them to Florida and see how the warm water fish take to 'em. Brim don't really care if bugs are in season.

focus is a little off...solly.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:33 am • # 14 

I ordered another 100 of these #12 heavy scud hooks today, along with some more ice dubbing in different colors. Gonna tie some more color variations of this pattern. Pictures will be posted.

Sunday is "Children's Day" here in Korea...so as long as the weather and my back cooperate; what better excuse than to take Cowkid2 flyfishing. ;)

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply