It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: "Crack Fly" step-by-step
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:42 pm • # 1 

First, let me give credit where credit is due. I first saw this fly when I received one in a fly swap and it was tied by Capt. Scott Null who is a shallow water fishing guide in the Galveston, TX area. He specializes in sight casting to redfish. From what I understand, this fly was created by Andy Packmore at Fishing Tackle Unlimited in Houston, TX. These are typically tied in larger sizes for sight casting to redfish in the marsh but their fish catching ability has really impressed me. I have caught 5 saltwater species in one day on this fly, and multiple other species throughout the past few years.

Here is my first attempt at a step-by-step. I tie this in a lot of color variations, different (or no) eyes, sometimes I bar the tail, sometimes I add flash, sometimes not, etc. Some will use a bend shaft hook as well. You get the idea; this pattern has plenty of variations. This example is on a size 10, 2xl shank hook.

First, tie on the extra small bead chain eyes.

Next up is the craft fur and flash. I brush out the under fur with a makeup brush (shown below) before tying the craft fur in. I am tying these fairly sparse.

Tie in the estaz then advance your thread towards the eye. Wrap the estaz forward leaving room behind the eyes for the EP steamer brush.

Next, tie in the EP streamer brush and begin to wrap. As you wrap, pull the fibers back so they don’t wrap over each other. Once the EP brush is wrapped, tie in and whip finish.

I use the makeup brush shown above to brush back the EP streamer brush if needed. You can add some time of head cement if you desire. The pattern isn’t much to look at but it really comes to life in the water. This is a fun pattern to play with. I like to tie this on a size 2 Gamakatsu SC15 and really beef the tail up for the saltwater.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:43 pm • # 2 

And it catches nice browns just as it is :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:13 pm • # 3 
Administrator

I like this tie. I need to give it short here in the creek.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:57 pm • # 4 

Nice tie. This EP brush looks cool. I'd like to tie a few for the next saltwater trip. Do you happen to know a good pompano pattern?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:52 pm • # 5 

sweet. thank you for this. i have never used craft fur in a fly. any recommendations as to where to purchase?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:59 pm • # 6 
Administrator

dpenrod wrote:
sweet. thank you for this. i have never used craft fur in a fly. any recommendations as to where to purchase?

Darin,
many fly shops cary craft fur, but you can also find it at Hobby Lobby or MjDesigns.
I use craft fur on many ties including a version of the cats whisker. It behaves differently from marabou or Arctic fox when used as a wing.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:21 pm • # 7 

I buy extra select craft fur off ebay. It seems like it has less under fur and is cheaper than fly shops. It is the same stuff they sell in fly shops but not the same price tag.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:23 pm • # 8 
Administrator

aggie wrote:
I buy extra select craft fur off ebay. It seems like it has less under fur and is cheaper than fly shops. It is the same stuff they sell in fly shops but not the same price tag.

You are correct. The extra select is better for having less underfur, but I like to use the waste, cuttings of underfur to loop dub bodies on my cats whiskers. Makes for bushier beasts. ;)

Les

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:24 pm • # 9 

I use the extra select variety from a fly shop for saltwater (streamers and shrimp patterns). The ones I've seen at Michael's have a little bit shorter fibers than what I want (long enough for small patterns though). I'm not sure if it has anything to do with "extra select" per se.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply