It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Dropper Flymph
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:25 pm • # 1 

I've been doing a fair bit of winter fishing at a set of spring fed ponds here in Idaho which has been great as normally, I shut down during the coldest months. IN the afternoon, we are first presenting #22 midge pupae or a bare red #22 hook and doing quite well. We are also finding that right during the peak warm times in mid afternoon, the fish feeding back and forth between midges and larger patterns which I am amusing are taken for caddis larvae, fresh water scuds and perhaps small leeches. As it is cold and we are getting tired of switching flies back and forth, we are beginning to use dropper systems and two flies. I have used a variety of dropper systems over the years and for the most part, I see flaws in all of them...but get along with them anyway. I was reading a local paper with a fly tying column in it and he showed tying in a built in dropper loop where you can tie a perfection loop in the tippet and go loop to loop right behind the fly. I have yet to try it but I have been tying up a bunch of patterns, from dry caddis, to leeches to various stimulator patterns, ready for summer small stream fishing where I like to put say a dry on top and soft hackle or small beadhead below. But I made sure I put some winter systems together too for my spring waters, a soft hackle or flymph with a loop so I can run a trailing midge pupae or bare red hook.....photos are not the best.

You can use whatever pattern you want but orange can be a fish catcher at times and it has this winter so I here is some steps:
Hook: #14 Wet Fly (trying to use up the bunch I have)
Using 8/0 thread (Camel color in this case)m wrap a base on the hook and put a loop of 4lb mono out the rear and tie off firmly.

Next, tie the ends back over the hook and secure with thread....and cut off the shortest end. The longest end will be used as as rib.

Here I am using light dun ostrich herl and pumpkin colored Uni Stretch for the body.

The key to a smooth body with Uni Stretch is a smooth under body

Wrap the herl forward and secure with mono tag rib. Some people wrap ribbing in opposite directions but I don't like that and don't trust the tightness of it. So I wrap in the same direction as the material I am securing but do it at a steep angle so it crosses the material.

On this fly I put a small collar of rusty colored ice dub and prepare a Hen Pheasant feather for a soft hackle by trimming off one side of the feather and tie in at the tip. Some soft hackles I like just one wrap, but this one I put on heavier.

The loop of 4lb mono is adequate for most fine tippets. On my leech patterns and stimulator patterns I went with 6lb Maxima

Post subject: Re: Dropper Flymph
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:34 pm • # 2 

So you use the mono loop off the back to secure it to your leader or do you tie it on by the eye and use the loop for a dropper fly?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:19 pm • # 3 

a drop of head cement or zap-a-gap wont hurt after securing the mono on the hook ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:30 pm • # 4 

Newtyer1 wrote:
So you use the mono loop off the back to secure it to your leader or do you tie it on by the eye and use the loop for a dropper fly?

I use this fly as the front fly. I take the tippet material (usually a couple of feet, maybe less) and put a perfection loop at one end, then slip the loop on the fly through the loop on the tippet and run the end of the tippet back through the loop on the fly....loop to loop. Then you can tie a second fly at the end of the tippet.

Last edited by DCG on Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:32 pm • # 5 

simonuca wrote:
a drop of head cement or zap-a-gap wont hurt after securing the mono on the hook ;)

Probably add some toughness to the system and peace of mind too. I think I will do that on the next ones I tie. I have been spending the day tying a bunch of these up, I went with the orange above, some lime green ones with an olive green hen hackle, and I ties some hairs ear softies, and a few yellow version with a darker hackle from the rump of the hen pheasant skin. Thx for the tip.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:13 pm • # 6 

Interesting. I wonder if adding a trailing shuck or tail to cover the loop would work better.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:31 pm • # 7 

I've made elk hair caddis flies with a tailing loop like this, only I use the Cabela's ripcord braid for the loop. Brownies don't seem to notice even the 14lb braid loop on the back. Maybe it looks like a tail to the fish??

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:15 pm • # 8 

Nice touch.............I love the loop, simple usually works..................Don in SC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:15 am • # 9 

Looks like a great setup to hang a small Brassie off the end for the point fly.

That color would probably work great when Yellow Sallie's are out and about.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply