It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Klinkhamer Special
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:34 pm • # 1 

This is my first attempt. It turned out to be a lot harder to take pictures while tying; I had to hold a sheet of paper on my left hand to cover the background so that the camera can focus.

Here is the recipe:
Hook: TMC 108SP-BL #16
Thread: Danville 6/0 cream
Body: Super Fine amber
Thorax: Peacock herl
Hackle: Whiting 100 grizzly

1. Secure the hook. For this hook, this angle seems to be the best/easiest.

2. Tie the parachute post perpendicular to the hook shank close to the eye.

3. Secure the saddle hackle and move the thread down to the bend.

4. Wrap the desired dubbing up to the post.

5. Tie a couple of peacock herl (I'm using 3 for this one)

6. Now the fun part. If you are serious about parachute flies, get one of these hackle pliers.

7. Otherwise, turn the fly so that the post is parallel to the table (remove the hook from the vise if necessary) and turn the hackle 4 or 5 times.

8. Whipfinish and reorient the fly.

9. Remove loose fibers and trim the post to the desired length.

10. Go fishing. :D

Post subject: Re: Klinkhamer Special
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:26 pm • # 2 

Nice. I've gotta get some of those hooks. The beauty behind emerger designs like the Klinkhamer, is the truth behind most hatches (Caddis and mayflies at least)......on most of them, trout mostly key in on helpless prey. It is the way of nature. So when an angler sees rising trout, most of the time, the fish are feeding on insects right under the surface, or on insects that are scurrying up through the water column and catching them right near the surface.

That is a nice emerger pattern. That hook would be perfect for shucking midge patterns. I have to get some. That is a beautiful tie. Thx.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:58 pm • # 3 

DCG wrote:
Nice. I've gotta get some of those hooks. The beauty behind emerger designs like the Klinkhamer, is the truth behind most hatches (Caddis and mayflies at least)......on most of them, trout mostly key in on helpless prey. It is the way of nature. So when an angler sees rising trout, most of the time, the fish are feeding on insects right under the surface, or on insects that are scurrying up through the water column and catching them right near the surface.

That is a nice emerger pattern. That hook would be perfect for shucking midge patterns. I have to get some. That is a beautiful tie. Thx.

Hey Dave, I've got them in size 16 and 20. I can throw some in your envelope when the fly swap flies get mailed out. Any preference on the size?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:05 pm • # 4 

Wow, Thx Joe. Maybe a few in size 16. I haven't seen the hook at our local shots. Looks like I will have to find them online.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:41 am • # 5 

Dave, if you want to try something larger, I can put some in size 12 when I send my flies to Joe. I got #12, #16, and #20 from Sierra Trading Post (Joe posted in a different thread earlier). I wanted #14, but they didn't have any. I'm thinking Quigley's Cripple might work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:53 am • # 6 

:idea: I think this is the first time I've seen combining tying the hackle into and wrapping the post before dressing the fly. I am always learning something new.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:02 am • # 7 

We have an awesome hatch of Yellow Sallies that happens in June/July. One night while fishing, I noticed exactly what Dave mentioned above, the fish were taking bugs just under the surface. I clipped the dry I was using so that it would float just under the film. I was catching fish on most every cast after that. It was this experience that prompted me to tie the Brown Bomber that I submitted in the last swap.
I really like the way this fly looks, thanks for posting up the step x step, I'm looking forward to tying some up for the next Sally hatch.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:29 pm • # 8 

Brian, good observation! This is one of the few patterns I've seen tied in this order although some well-known tiers dub the body first, so either way should be fine. I just follow how my favorite tiers do. When I tie other parachute patterns, say Adams, I dub the body first.

Loomis4wt, I'm glad you like this pattern. Credit goes to Hans van Klinken, the originator of this pattern. The study of rise form is crucial. I was in a similar situation; plenty of splashes, but no takers. But as soon as I switched to a low riding pattern, I started catching fish.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:54 am • # 9 

okimoto wrote:
Brian, good observation! This is one of the few patterns I've seen tied in this order although some well-known tiers dub the body first, so either way should be fine...

What strikes me about the photo of the hackle and tied in first then wrapping the post is how clean and secure it looks. Is there any reason why you wouldn't do it that way on a Parachute Adams?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:41 pm • # 10 

Brian_Miller wrote:
What strikes me about the photo of the hackle and tied in first then wrapping the post is how clean and secure it looks. Is there any reason why you wouldn't do it that way on a Parachute Adams?

You got me there. There is no reason not to. I just haven't made a switch yet; next time. But this made me curious, so I looked around, and I now see more parachute flies tied this way. This has been a great discussion. It provides me with new perspectives.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:07 am • # 11 

I have a lot of success with both the Adams and Yellow one's too. The fish take them with more assurance the high floater sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:26 pm • # 12 

Hello,

a very nice tied Klinkhammer.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:12 pm • # 13 

nice tie. I've never seen a Klinkhamer tied on that hook. The ones I've seen have been on partridge Klink hooks. I like your idea though. Why tie on a specialized hook if you don't need to?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:40 am • # 14 

I know its an old post but I wanted to bring it back up for one of my favorite flies. I tie it on Daiichi 1160 hooks which give you a little more room for the thorax and post/wing on the shank and have a nice curve through the abdomen portion. I really like the design of this hook. With the wide gap I would like to see them make it in smaller sizes (22,24,26). My flies have really improved with this hook and the tying method shown in the Spring '14 Fly Tyer magazine. Good work on the tutorial!

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply