It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:19 pm • # 1 

Hook: Daiichi #16 1130 short shank/wide gap

Thread: 17/0 Uni Thread Trico (turns clear allowing color of material underneath to show through after epoxied or superglued

Body and Tail: Rusty Ice Dub tied in as shown in photo, then over wrapped with light thread and glued with superglue for durability and to clarify the material under the thread.

Post: Anything white for high viz. I like closed cel foam but antron works good too.

Wing: Dark Ginger Barred hackle

Should be a good small stream pattern and high viz. Copies many sulfur patterns. Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:44 pm • # 2 

Nice tie! I almost always use para post wing for this. How do you like the pro grade? I'm going back and forth between Whiting 100 and bronze. If it's good enough for Dave, it should be excellent for me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:00 pm • # 3 

okimoto wrote:
Nice tie! I almost always use para post wing for this. How do you like the pro grade? I'm going back and forth between Whiting 100 and bronze. If it's good enough for Dave, it should be excellent for me.

Thx. I used to use Whiting 100's and still feel they are among the best dry fly hackles. The only problem is you buy a bag of them and they are for one size only. This isn't bad if your tying mostly flies in specific sizes. For me, I am all over the place in the sizes of flies I tie so I am slowly going back to capes. The Pro Grade is affordable, not the best but plenty good enough. The barbs are a bit softer (not bad) but makes a nice parachute wrap and plenty good enough for regular wrapped dries and simulators. One thing I like about Capes is I can use the larger feathers for buggers, streamers and matukas, etc. This half cape has a lot of variant which is nice.....you can select the hue you wish.

Later this spring (when I am working again, I am going to splurge and find a good natural cree cape.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:18 pm • # 4 

I use barred ginger hackles as a cree substitute; it's easier for me to find. It makes it simpler to tie such as the Adams.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:40 pm • # 5 

Another nice tie...........Thanks, I like simple flies............Don in SC

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply