It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: FLUTTER FLY
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:57 am • # 1 

While thumbing through some old back issues of warmwater fly fishing magazine I ran across an article by Brook Eliott on making a metal flutter fly for panfish. In the summer, after the spawn, big bluegill are hard to find on the big man made lakes in east texas. The fish suspend around structure in deeper water. This little fly is a good way to catch them. Cheap, easy to make, and effective; the flutter fly is something a little different. Here's how to make them.
1. an aluminum can
cut it up
the bottom makes a nice little bead/hook holder
use Aberdeen hooks; I use size 4 and 6 to keep the little fish from stealing the show. when fishing deep its exhasperating when the smaller fish constantly get to the fly first
cut the aluminum rectangles the size of the hook shank
tie a tail on the hook and wrap shank with thread. Tail can be anything; rabbit, flash, hair, etc. long or short, applied thick or thin; however fast you want the fly to sink(fly sinks hook point up)
cut the aluminum into small rectangles, fold evenly, apply some glue(I use 5 minute epoxy and (I can do 4 flies before epoxy starts setting up) apply a thin coat of epoxy, then squeeze the two sides of the rectangle over the hook shank. I use a paper clip to hold sides together til epoxy sets up
cut the aluminum to shape; color eyes, gil , and put a black or blue line across top along hook shank. when marker/paint dries apply a thin coat of sallys hard as nails or any clear nail polish
cast them out on a sinking line or long leader; let the fly flutter to the bottom watching your line carefully for the subtle strike. when fly reaches the bottom lift it slowly off bottom and use a slow retrieve. These are also effective on schooling black bass when they are pounding the shad. The limitation of this fly is that it can't be cast for great distances as it flutters on the cast like a knuckleball.30 foot casts are much easier than 40-50 foot casts. But, its something a little different-p-

Post subject: Re: FLUTTER FLY
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:48 pm • # 2 

Thanks Gene, that looks like a killer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:57 pm • # 3 

DuctTape might work too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:13 am • # 4 

I bet it would Blu; there is a lot of different colors in duct tape-p-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:37 am • # 5 

Interesting I've never seen anything similar. I'll have to tie up a few, the Bass down here really key in on shad over deep structure during the summer. With it's fluttering fall thru the water column and suttle flash this could be just the ticket!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:58 am • # 6 

Blu's idea of duct tape raises a good question. When the fish experience the metal in the current flutter fly, do they back off? If so, the softness and pliability of duct tape might just work. What do you think?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:10 pm • # 7 

I think its a spontaneous reaction; it flutters across their site window they suck it in before saying,"uh-oh". I'm not sure duct tape would flutter like aluminum, but that don't mean it won't. These little "flies" are kinda like a silver spoon; just light enough to toss with a fly rod. I have some old tiny fly spoons that can be thrown with a 7-8 weight; these can be thrown with a 3 wt.-p-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:44 pm • # 8 

pearow,

Is the aluminum blade free to spin on the threaded hook shaft or is it epoxied to the shaft?
Thanks.

Bob9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:13 pm • # 9 

it is epoxied-p-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:54 am • # 10 

Ive made these, aluminum cans and super glue. A bit of dark blue paint across the back and some painted eyes.

After testing them in my swimming pool, I was well... unimpressed. I never fished them. Maybe I should?

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply