It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:23 pm • # 1 

Drowned Spider
After dressing a #10 3366 Mustad , attach your favorite color chennile about 1/16" behind hook eye .
Next , wrap forward to tie in point and tie off with three wraps and trim. I used a bright color for illustration . Though it might show up better .
Next, take your Centepede legs and pull two off from one side and cut off from rest. Fold these two and cut again making four . These will be all that's needed to make eight legs.
Holding the four strands together ,tie the to one side of hook in front of chennile , using several wraps making sure you wrap close to the chennile and forward almost to hook eye . Grasping the front strands ,pull to the opposite side and toward the back . You'll be stretching the strands a little and wrapping with thread at the same time .

Then form a cone shape head , add a couple half hitches and whip finish . Hold all the legs together and trim them the same length.
You can grab individual strands and position them half around the top of the head . Careful positioning the legs as I pulled a leg off this . Wouldn't you know it , the only one out of probably a hundred I've tied , and I pull a leg off the one I'm trying to demo .

That's it , simple and effective. If the pictures look different from beginning to end , its because , my camera battery died after three pictures and I finished up with the iPad camera . gillchaser

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:26 pm • # 2 

Great looking fly, looks like a killer, in the same style of the bass bully and cap spider... will be adding these to the box.
Thansk for sharing with us....

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:53 pm • # 3 

Black with black/white legs has been the best producer . Just cast , let fall a couple seconds , then retrieve as slowly as you can , while watching the end of the flyline . gillchaser

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:12 pm • # 4 

used one today; caught several brim. I used the little rubber legs that fly tyers dungeon sells; I bought them for 50c a package and was wondering what I would do with them; worked great-p-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:52 pm • # 5 

With the rains lately , I tied up a few white with flash versions to try . Hit the town pond and caught about a dozen in less than an hour . A young boy around ten was watching me the whole time as he fished his spincast rod and reels . He asked what I was using and I showed him and flipped a short cast out and just like on cue , a 1/4 lb bluegill grabbed it . I repeated this for four strait cast . I left him with a couple of flies and told him how he could use his rod , Tenkara style . I may have converted him . After I got home I got to thinking of putting one of the Eagle Claw rods I have in my truck , in case I run into him again . gillchaser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:26 pm • # 6 

Looks simple and effective.......Nice..............Don in SC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:05 pm • # 7 
Administrator

Great tie- sometimes simple is best.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:16 am • # 8 

Add some weight in the tail so it sinks "butt first" and you have "Bullys Bluegill Spider."
Some use .020 lead wire. I cut the lead capsule from wine bottles into thin strips and use that. Plus I drink the wine....

Classic bluegill pattern type.
Love it!

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply