It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Step by step nymphs
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:16 pm • # 1 

Attached is a Step By Step of the nymphs that I use most often when I Czech nymph, unless the rapids are very fast or the current strong. If that is the case, I use the same flies in sizes 14 and 16. On the larger fly I use more weight to get the nymph down.

First the components. I start with Umpqua 260 BL hook. I like this hook because it is a heavy wire and short shank. That gives me the hook gap of a size 16 but a shank of a size 18 hook. I then also tie the fly short.
I then use 8/0 thread in all the different colors but I find dark brown to be the most productive.
I use size small French wire tinsel in gold here, pearl tinsel for the flash back and bright dubbing.
I use tungsten beads and coat the body with Sally Hanson Hard as nails for added durability.

Add your 5/16 tungsten bead to the hook.

With your 8/0 thread wrap down to the length you want and back up. Then tie in the French Wire for the rib and wrap down to the back end of the fly.

Wrap the thread back up and build a slight increase in thickness as you get to the bead. Wrap the wire up to make the rib and tie off. At this point I coat the thread with the nail polish to add durability.

Now tie in the pearl tinsel for the shell back. With that done dub the thorax with a highly reflective type of dubbing but not too much. Fold over the shell back. Whip finish and the fly is done.

With this style you can also tie small and catch a surprising number of large fish. Again the thread color can be any thread color you choose. You could add the rib but I find with the small gold tungsten bead it is not necessary. The tying instructions are similar to the above fly.
Here is a size 26 scud hook with a 1/16 bead.

I selected olive thread for this one. The key here is to build a more tapered body that will lock in the bead. Whip finish, coat with nail polish and you’re done.

In between those two is a size 20 scud hook that works well also. For this size I go back to the larger 5/64 bead and tie the same fly as I did on the size 16 short shank.

Here is the dubbing before I spun in on the thread. You do not want too much.

Here are the finished 16 short shank, 20 and 26. Ready to do battle with trout in the morning.

By varying the thread color from cream to black, changing the rib and bead to silver I can have a large variety of flies that are simple to tie and for me have been dynamite producers.

As a side note. So much thread to control. I went to the sewing and fabric store and bought the thread stands for under $5 each :) The fly shops ask anywhere from $20 to $30 for theirs.

Last edited by Joe C on Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Step by step nymphs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:19 am • # 2 
Administrator

That's really nice, Joe. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:19 pm • # 3 

It used be much simpler to describe a hook: 1XL etc. :lol
Joe C wrote:

My favorite brand. I use brass beads; 200 for only $9 + free shipping.
Joe C wrote:

Nice! I need to tie some of these. My season opens next week. Blue assassin and Y2K.....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:57 pm • # 4 

I like it!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:43 pm • # 5 
Administrator

Nice Euro style ties!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:22 pm • # 6 

It is obvious that you are not just a master at catching trout, but fly tying too.............Don in SC

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply