It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:09 am • # 1 

here's some easy poppers to make from the sticks of balsa you find in hobby stores. a pencil sharpener, hobby saw, and a little sandpaper is all you need to shape them.
I use the cheap Aberdeen hooks because they fit nicely and they can be bent and pulled off hang ups, bent back to their original shape and re-used.
I use a drill bit to make an indention in the face of the popper, the saw cuts a slit for the hook, which has the hook shank wrapped in thread and super-glued in the slot. Make sure the hook is positioned correctly.
a razor blade is used to cut the tail back so that thread can be wrapped and a flash tail tied in.
the tiny poppers are made durable by wrapping clear mono around the body, hook shank, etc. I use the mono thread from walmart
attach a tail after coloring them like you like. I use a combination of different colors of fingernail polish, acrylic hobby paint, permanent markers. Actually, the fish hit the movement(my opinion) not the color. I usually paint them to resemble shad or baby bass fryImage
they are made more durable with some sally's hard as nails
That's it; simple as that. You can easily make a dozen on a cold, rainy afternoon. Don't sell the little poppers short. I have caught many bass over four pounds on these little poppers. I had a huge one on several years ago but the Aberdeen hook straightened. Springtime is ideal for catching larger bass on these teeny poppers-p-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:36 am • # 2 

Looks good, Gene.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:09 pm • # 3 

....I know why youre being so nice Cliff....Santa Clause is watching you, so you're trying to be good! It's no use; he's been watching all year!!!!!!!!(but Thanks anyway!!!!)-p-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:52 pm • # 4 

Heck, I'm not even good around Christmas so I usually get my stocking on the fireplace filled with coal. :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:18 pm • # 5 

maybe a new year's resolution is in order.........Nah!....then you wouldn't be any fun!!!!!!!-p-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:24 am • # 6 

Besides that Gene, New Year's resolutions are good for only one thing.........breaking.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:12 am • # 7 

Nice - I like the pencil sharpener.
I just chuck the balsa up in a drill press or hand drill and turn it.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply