It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 31 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:07 am • # 21 

I'm still wondering what the dinosaurs did to bring about the ice age.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:33 am • # 22 

I understand your point but if we don’t put evidence based science out there then we have ceded the future and much of today to a variety of “agendas” rather than something as close to reality as we can get it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:14 pm • # 23 

mdwwhw:
I think you are 100% correct on that front. And I must confess that I have no doubts regarding the evidence that we are in a period of unprecedented climate change. Furthermore, I have no reservations about saying that it is accelerated by man's actions. I just don't see much hope for changing anyone's viewpoint on a fly fishing forum. I know that seems counter-intuitive for participants in an activity that is so closely tied to a healthy and stable environment, and particularly so for aquatic environments where minor changes in flow and temperature (and pH and salinity) can have catastrophic effects on their biota, but there you go.
...and I could be way off base on this. I just have never seen it happen.
brent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:55 pm • # 24 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
I'm still wondering what the dinosaurs did to bring about the ice age.

To add to your point what did man do to warm it up again??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:08 am • # 25 

If that's a serious question, the answers are nothing and nothing. Ice ages have been relatively cyclical on the planet for a long time, and until our arrival, the plants and animals changed (in part) in response to these cycles, as well as continental drift, island biogeography, natural selection,and a few other factors.
But if anything, we should probably be entering a new 'ice age' at this point, and yet we are experiencing, year after year, record-breaking global temperature increases.
We've caused the desertification of much of northern Africa; we've eliminated mind-bogglingly large populations of animals (bison/passenger pigeon); we've created canals and waterways to join otherwise isolated watercourses; we've deforested and then reforested (with fewer species) enormous tracts of land; we've increased our population and its industrial/technological impact beyond anything imaginable; we've altered the temperature and salinity of the oceans and turned them into a plastics dump. 40 years ago, we took on our proven impact on the ozone layer and actually undid much of the damage through marketing, policy and legislation. I cannot understand why it would be hard to imagine that we might, after all of that, be having a global impact on cllimate.
Ah, dang. You tricked me into it, didn't you? :lol
brent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:14 am • # 26 

Y'all can discuss this all you want and even agree with that idiot AOC about it, but as for me I'm going fishing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:23 pm • # 27 

Cliff: :lol Trust you to get things back on topic. (you should be ashamed of yourself) ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:03 pm • # 28 

I'll join you Cliff.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:41 pm • # 29 

I'm just waiting for the climate to change so hopefully I won't have to cover the fig trees here in NJ for the Winter. Anybody know when that's going to happen. The trees can stand it down to 25 degrees F for a short period of time but we got to 2 below zero this winter. A 0.7 degrees F rise in avg. temp. in 120 years isn't going to cut it.

Last edited by 6footrod on Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:32 pm • # 30 

By all accounts, according to the freshman congreesss woman we are doomed in 12 years so don't get your hope's up. The polar bears will all be dead before your wish comes true.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:41 am • # 31 

I did notice that here in Texas the temperature this summer was .000000001 degree warmer than it was back in 1706 b.c when I was just a teenager.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 31 posts ] New Topic Add Reply