It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Gar on the Fly
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:20 am • # 1 

As I know at least a few brave souls on this forum chase gar with their UL rods, I thought I'd share the link to a post I put up this morning. It is a little different than my normal posts, and I'd appreciate any feedback.

Is there anything I missed? Or anything you think I should change? I'd love any input, whether here or in the comments on the article.

Here's the link:

Gar on the Fly

Thanks
Chris

Post subject: Re: Gar on the Fly
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:51 am • # 2 

To each his own. I catch gars because I like the fight, and what fly I use is what I think is best for that purpose.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:21 pm • # 3 

Well, you kinda know I'll be in agreement with your premise on this.

Just not a rope guy. :| Been there, done that, even made nifty little loop nooses for jaws. While they all work, they wreak havoc on the gars dentition and require an undue amount of f'ing around with the fish.

I'm liking the small stuff these days. Haven't tried the Tooth Proof (titanium) wire spoken of earlier by PampasPete on this forum, but will. I have a lot of small to medium size gars in my waters and true giants are pretty rare so my bias has some basis in quarry size.

Rope flies are doable with a small toothbrush for removal of broken strands. However, it's pretty darn hard to get 'em all in a wet outdoor environment and I think many gar swim off with residual on them. Rope is clever, but removal is typically not done very well by many people as a finishing move for C&R. Not criticizing anyone who likes rope flies for gar, just acknowledging the problematic reality of strand removal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:18 pm • # 4 

Yes. You forgot one thing. They slimy. And stinky.
I carry wipes with me...

Enjoyed the post. I thought about using rope, but passed in it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:28 am • # 5 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
To each his own. I catch gars because I like the fight, and what fly I use is what I think is best for that purpose.

My intent isn't to force anyone to change the way the fish. Just trying to offer an alternative to anyone looking to get into targeting gar.

knotjoe wrote:
Not criticizing anyone who likes rope flies for gar, just acknowledging the problematic reality of strand removal.

Exactly. I can't fault the effectiveness of rope flies, but I just can't agree with them when catch and release is the intent. Too much added risk of damage for the fish.

As an interesting aside, it is apparently a global practice. I was speaking at a local club meeting last night, and one of the attendees who had read the post came to speak with me. He's a well-traveled gentleman and always has anecdotes to share. In this case, he wanted to share the fact that he first learned of rope flies/rope lures while stationed in Turkey years earlier. The locals would use them on hand lines as a means of catching the local garfish/needlefish species.

strummer wrote:
Yes. You forgot one thing. They slimy. And stinky.
I carry wipes with me...

Enjoyed the post. I thought about using rope, but passed in it.

Thanks strummer! And, yes, they do stink. I'd be wise to bring wipes, but never seem to remember to.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:22 am • # 6 

One of the great things about fishing is that we can all have different ways of catching fish and we all can still enjoy the sport.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:32 pm • # 7 

I must admit that there was a time I actually caught gar on a rope lure, but it was with UL spinning gear. And that was in the early 1970s, when I did a number of things that wouldn't even seriously cross my mind nowadays. That said, barbless hooks might be a good idea for fishing with flies for gar. After all, who wants to mess around with those teeth any more than necessary?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:13 pm • # 8 

I have no valid opinion on gar fishing, having none around here, and having never had the opportunity to pursue them, but 'flossing for salmon', as described in the linked article, is repugnant. The narrator makes the statement that you have to be careful not to jig the salmon, when that is precisely what he is doing. Just because the hook lodges in the salmon's mouth does not mean it wasn't jigged. Here in the land of Atlantic salmon, every aspect of this technique is illegal. Then again, maybe this is less about sport fishing, than freezer filling.

brent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:11 pm • # 9 

PampasPete wrote:
That said, barbless hooks might be a good idea for fishing with flies for gar.

That has crossed my mind as well. You may lose a few when they jump, but the release will be much cleaner on the ones that are landed.

wheezeburnt wrote:
Then again, maybe this is less about sport fishing, than freezer filling.

I think the "freezer filling" side of things is key in many cases. In fact, it came up in some discussions with other local anglers. While none of them target gar with rope flies, they know folks who do. But those folks are practices catch and eat as Gar is actually a popular food fish among some Louisianans.

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:21 am • # 10 

Chris_in_Louisiana wrote:
Cliff Hilbert wrote:
Thanks strummer! And, yes, they do stink. I'd be wise to bring wipes, but never seem to remember to.

Dude wipes and wet ones sell boxes of individually wrapped towels. I toss a couple or three in the pack, so they're always with me.

Have you tried gar?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:57 am • # 11 

Actually, I didn't write that comment about wipes, that was Chris. ::) I keep getting accused of things I didn't do - woe is me. :lol :lol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:47 am • # 12 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
I keep getting accused of things I didn't do - woe is me. :lol :lol

Yeah, but look at all the stuff you DID do, and got away with! :applause

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:29 am • # 13 

Shhhhh, Brent, we don't talk about those things, it might ruin my sparkling record. :smokin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:50 pm • # 14 

strummer wrote:

Have you tried gar?

Not yet. I need to get myself invited to more BBQs with the locals. I'm told Gar Balls are a delicacy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:32 am • # 15 

You get gar balls from the male gar, ovaries from the female gar. The ovaries are great mixed with some Tony Chachere's seasoning and a cup of bourbon. :eek :eek :lol :lol :lol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:32 am • # 16 

The first time I ever heard of using frayed rope to catch gar was in the bayous of South Louisiana. My brother and I were headed down the bayou to fish for specks and reds when we saw a gallon milk jug moving down the bayou. We went after it to see what was causing it to move and every time we got close it took off at a higher rate of speed. When we finally got it to hand we found out that there was a huge gar attached to a length of frayed nylon rope on a metal leader. After some research we discovered that the cajuns down there use this method to catch gar and they scrape the meat from the bones and make gar balls to eat.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:52 am • # 17 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
The first time I ever heard of using frayed rope to catch gar was in the bayous of South Louisiana. My brother and I were headed down the bayou to fish for specks and reds when we saw a gallon milk jug moving down the bayou. We went after it to see what was causing it to move and every time we got close it took off at a higher rate of speed. When we finally got it to hand we found out that there was a huge gar attached to a length of frayed nylon rope on a metal leader. After some research we discovered that the cajuns down there use this method to catch gar and they scrape the meat from the bones and make gar balls to eat.

The cajuns are nothing if not creative when it comes to catching dinner.

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply