It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 44 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:52 pm • # 21 

I'm the opposite of you Cliff. I fish delicate tippets, and small dry flies to spooky fish on nothing but moving water.

I am curious about one thing. What part of your fishing is UL?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:23 pm • # 22 

When I'm fishing for bream I use my 3-wt. When I was able to walk on the rocks in rivers I either used my 3-wt or 4-wt for trout. Sometimes I use my 3-wt for crappie depending on the territory. When trout fishing tapered leaders are almost essential.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:53 pm • # 23 

I've met a few real fishermen over the years; they are people that can beat you with their stuff, swap, and then beat you with your stuff. I believe they are "born" not made. They are "naturals". Anyone who has ever fished with Cliff will tell you that he is a natural. I could not outfish Cliff if I fished with him every day. He'll catch more fish than anybody I know, except maybe Henry, "caddokid" who is another natural I've had the pleasure of fishing with. Cliff cannot tell you how or why he catches fish; I don't think he knows; give him any fly in your box and he'll catch fish with it.-p-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:58 pm • # 24 

Ohh, my head is getting sooooooo BIG!!! :o

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:52 pm • # 25 

Pearow you are so right, fishing with Cliff at Texoma he said the fish were difficult but he still outfished me by a dozen, unreal, we fish the same pond same areas and he catches twice to three times more than me. The article Cliff wrote is just his honest opinion as he sees flyfishing, totally non technical but very effective.
Cliff keep your hat on it will stop your head popping.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:57 pm • # 26 

Makes you wonder how many fish he could catch if he was technical. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:27 pm • # 27 

Good lord, Pete. The LAST thing we need is another "Great Extinction". :eek
Brent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:01 pm • # 28 

You guys are too much! :\ Gene is correct, I have no idea why I catch more than other people, I'm just fishing the way it is comfortable and natural for me. I'm not trying to outwit the fish because fish have no brains, I'm just trying to put a fly they might like where I think they might be. I fish slowly and methodically, trying to keep moving all the time, except when I'm wading for trout.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:25 pm • # 29 

Cliff can catch fish out of a wagon rut if it has water in it. He's a great guy to fish with.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:44 pm • # 30 

An excellent read which gives all of us many things to ponder. And the number of exceptional fish certainly makes one wonder if perhaps Cliff is a bit modest in his deference to "technical" fly fishing. Let's take a look at a general definition of technical..."of or relating to a particular subject, art, or craft, or its techniques". That sounds to me like it refers to everything involved in the technique or craft of fly fishing. So sorry Cliff, I can't buy the non-technical. :)

Now lets take a look at what it takes to catch some of those trophies Cliff has alluded to and whether the qualities required are "technical" or not.

1. You have to know where the big fish hang out because fishing where small or no fish live won't give you the results Cliff has achieved. You can get this from reading what the experts might share or by pounding the waters over a lifetime. Technical? I'm guessing it is because it certainly relates to his success in a big way and he obviously knows things most others don't.

2. You have to present a fake food item to wily (otherwise how did they get this big?) fish and then convince them to eat it. Presentation requires casting skill, the fake food requires a knowledge of real foods and getting them to bite requires finesse in handling the fly-line. Big time technical knowledge here! Even more-so when you consider Cliff doesn't have the advantage of constructing local facsimiles at a bench but has to rely on what others offer.

3. You have to pound, caress and cajole those rare, giant-holding waters much, much more often than the average fisherman. OK Cliff, you've got me there. 66 years old likely means you can pursue your quarry 24 x 7. And that's non-technical.

Harry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:48 pm • # 31 

:lol :lol :lol Actually Harry, I'm 69 now. :'(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:22 pm • # 32 

That means, technically, I can call you "The Kid". I'm 70. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:50 am • # 33 

Harry you refer to Cliffs "casting skill"' he doesn't have any!!!
But if anything he is a patient fisherman catching fish where you fail to.
Me being 72, I guess you are both "juniors" ? :lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:59 pm • # 34 

:lol Eric is correct, I don't have any casting skills, but I get the fly somewhere in the vicinity of where I want it, and the fish don't seem to care that I throw parachute casts when I want it to lay out or lay it out when I try to throw a parachute cast. :eek :lol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:04 am • # 35 

Like your perspective Cliff.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:02 am • # 36 

Cliff, if you do not mind, I'd like to share with with a shop that thinks fish will not bit unless you spend $1,000 or more for rod and real. Great article.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:22 am • # 37 

swi wrote:
Cliff, if you do not mind, I'd like to share with with a shop that thinks fish will not bit unless you spend $1,000 or more for rod and real. Great article.

Sure, feel free to share it with them. One of the reasons I wrote it is to let people know that you don't have to spend an arm and a leg on equipment in order to be successful.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:36 pm • # 38 

One of the nicest things about fly-fishing is that it can be a very democratic sport. It can be as simple or as complex as one wants it to be. You can learn the latin names of insects and their life-cycles, and tie and fish exquisite imitations of them or you can just imagine that your artificial bait looks kind of like some bugs that live around or in the water. You can tie and fish exquisite streamers or you can fish rude, crude streamers and consider them to be artificial minnows. You can go into rod-building, or buy one from a department store that is mass-produced and will also serve to get a line out there and catch some fish.

In his "Testament of a Fisherman" Robert Traver wrote that "... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience..."

Of course, that goes for other fish just as well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:07 pm • # 39 

Great reading here. Hits the truth. Unfortunately with almost everything these days the world has become a lot more complicated than it needs to be.Unless on a major trip I usually fish with my rod and reel and a film container in my pocket with a bunch of ratty but effective flies. One spool of spare tippet in the other pocket. That's it. Trout Bum is a term I really identify with :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:29 am • # 40 

Thanks for sharing this with us. I'm with you.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 44 posts ] New Topic Add Reply